Maple seasoning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I’ve burned a little maple, but not a lot. Last year I came across about a cord of it from a tree that my friend had cut down. Curious if anyone knows the average seasoning time? So far it looks like it’s drying pretty quick. I’m guessing it may be ready in 2 years of drying time. Wondering everyone else’s experience with it.

It all depends on the type of Maple. Silver will dry in about 8-10 months, Sugar & Black maple will be around 2 years from the reading I have done, I can’t recall what Red Maple seasoning time is.

I have a jag of Black Maple I got from my sisters yard, I put it in my Oak pile.

Indeed, silver maple I did in a year.

Anyone know about Norway maple?

Norway 2 yrs.

K. Ty

Norway takes a freaky long time. Red can be a while. The rest are "normal"

Hm. Well, I have it in a shed. I hope it'll be ok in 3 years from now.

Reactions: MissMac
Sugar maple usually about 2 years for me. Red maple 12 to 18 months. I'm not fond of silver maple.

In my experience, red maple dries fairly quick. Certainly within one year if stored well. In n ideal location top covered, I’d be good with burning it if it was cut during the spring of that burning season ( needs the summer).