Q&A Maple wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Harman Exception woodstove. We use the stove to heat 1500 square foot and it has been doing a wonderful job. I have always burned oak wood that I take from some property in western Maryland. Recently I was offered all of the soft maple I can cut down. My question is this: I have always and only burned oak in the past and I don't know much about maple.I know that it will not burn as hot as oak. What I do not know is if it will burn clean. I don't want to use it if it will clog the chimney. Is it safe?

Answer:

Any type of maple is fine. If's it's soft maple, then it may not burn as long or produce as much heat per cubic foot...but, if seasoned and dry, will burn clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.