Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
8A0C706E-2227-4ECB-B66F-7BDBD1170FC1.jpeg
5DC190D7-3294-4973-98CC-34C5C2033B35.jpeg
41928419-15F8-43AC-8AA7-77653CB5CA9F.jpeg
this was a tree that fell a few weeks ago in my yard. I got to it today. I think it’s some sorta maple. Probably 14” diameter at base. Kinda light weight.

My guess was also poplar. There are a handful visible from my window, so it was easy.

Thanks everyone, I had to deal with it anyway. It’s cut up waiting to be split, I think I’m good for the next two yrs wood wise. Maybe I’ll split it sooner than later and I can use it March/April. I’m waiting for my neighbors dead standing oak to drop some more limbs!

This is that rare photo ID where there's no question. Tulip poplar. It's the only thing with that type of leaf, and the bark fits too.

You could burn it by March, but I'd wait until Fall.

Poplar. Not very popular because it is garbage wood.

Liriodendron has a tendency for funky splits - it doesn't always split straight. But it dries quickly. OK shoulder season wood.
I wouldn't go out of way for it, split too much, or take too much valuable stacking space.