March 25th and still going through wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove was cold a couple nights. Burned last night. It was just under 30 this morning. I am burning my best wood now. I had a small stash of Red Oak that I was saving for the coldest weather. Turns out that it is the only seasoned wood that I have now! I have some other junk, but it hisses a lot and is very hard to light. I can add some of it to the Oak. Last year we burned into April. I dismantled the old smoke dragon in May to get ready for the Fireview and there were a couple nights in May that I wished I could have burned. I wonder when I will stop this year.

We're still hangin' tough with evening fires. During the day the sun's rays coming through the windows is enough to bring the interior temperature up to "comfy", but the fire still feels pretty nice at night!

26 when I got up this morning so I reloaded. Letting it burn down just in time to have to start it again tonight but keeping it going would be too hot in the joint. I am looking forward to warmer weather later in the week but until then cold and rainy.

Friggin freezing last night here in the Catskills of Woodstock. Caught me off guard - I didn't set up for an overnight burn. Woke up to 47 degrees (indoors). Got the stove cranking and the solar rays did the rest - got my glass cabin up to an unusually warm 74.

Pretty cold downstate too!

woodjack said:
Friggin freezing last night here in the Catskills of Woodstock. Caught me off guard - I didn't set up for an overnight burn. Woke up to 47 degrees (indoors). Got the stove cranking and the solar rays did the rest - got my glass cabin up to an unusually warm 74.

Two or three times a year I have the opposite happen. They forecast cold and I load'er up for the night and they change their mind about the time I go to bed and I sweat us out of the joint.

Not tonight. Cold out there.

Yesterday morning it was snowing. This afternoon must have hit nearly 70. I just stay ready to burn if needed. Soon enough, I won't need to do even that much, at least for a few months. Rick

fossil said:
Yesterday morning it was snowing. This afternoon must have hit nearly 70. I just stay ready to burn if needed. Soon enough, I won't need to do even that much, at least for a few months. Rick

I hear ya. We have been doing some seventy degree days and nights in the twenties. I want me one of those thermostat thingies. Looks like time to visit the tax credit for a heat pump.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

I hear ya. We have been doing some seventy degree days and nights in the twenties. I want me one of those thermostat thingies. Looks like time to visit the tax credit for a heat pump.

Automatic heat by remote control - what a concept. I bet they'll be a big market for that contraption.

We lowed at 30 Thursday and Friday night, but highed in the mid 60's.. so a couple fire in there. but mostly let the heat pump keep track of things. I am pretty sure that's how we will run.. when it's warm enough for the heat pump to run in it's optimal zone, let it. I don't like it's heat as much, but, well, it sure is easy. :lol:

Still going here, albeit with small loads, sometime just 1 split to take the chill off during the day. Night still below zero so a nice fire in the morning feels really nice. I've been working at home the last few weeks so my wife has had it easy, just watches me play with the stove every now and then. Loving having the Regency in the LR - makes really nice heat and the blower is really good at moving the heat out of the insert.

Backwoods Savage said:
Remember 2009 folks. Many still had fires in June and even July! We usually quit burning sometime in May here; usually mid May.

Yeah does seem like it was mid-May? It took all Summer to thaw out from last Winter :smirk:

Sounds like most of us got spoiled by a little early warm up! We never let the fire go out all weekend. 24/7 since Friday. Of course, I'm still burning green wood. I knew I should have processed more wood last year. But those 6 cords looked so imposing for a first time 24/7 wood heating rookie! I've learned a lot in the past year. I learned how to operate three stoves and am still learning about the new one. How to get more heat with different types of wood and stacking the firebox in different ways. I will have gone through an entire cart of wood from Friday night (had both stoves going that night) to probably Monday night or Tuesday morning. That's a lot of wood!! About 17 cubic feet of maple, oak and cherry. I'm going through a ton of wood to heat the house in such mild weather. That's because I have to wait a long time to damper down due to how green the wood is. With dry wood, I'd probably be using half the amount of fuel. I'm finally beginning to understand the cat. The whole point is to squeeze heat out of the wood that is burning at lower intensity than a non epa stove would. I can't squeeze heat out of green wood because by the time the wood has actually caught enough to engage the cat the wood is burned to a crisp. I also don't want to damage the cat by engaging it too early with the green wood.

Forecast 46 tonight not that the warm weather isn't welcome at my house ill miss the fire till nxt yr but ive still got one tonite probably be sleepin on top of the covers till she says enough is enough.

After a week in AZ, I'm back home and burning again. Temps into the low 20's last night. By the end of
the week, it's supposed to be in the upper 70's during the day in Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.