Combination of cordwood+biobricks+pellets during a cold snap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Autonomous

Jan 2, 2024
Massachusetts
After using wood stoves for almost two decades I started experimenting with compressed wood products like biobricks and hardwood pellets. I now use the pellets as a substitute for kindling and toss in 1/2 to 1 pint before adding more cordwood. When building a new fire I use a combination of pellets, biobricks and a piece of cordwood, then apply a propane torch to the pellets for about 2 minutes. Previously, when burning wood gathered from the wild, it was often necessary to rearrange the fire in order to get it to start quickly without generating much smoke. The compressed wood products startup consistently like clockwork and generate minimal smoke. In fact you have to close the secondary air intake fully after about 8 minutes. The biobricks are useful for long duration burns so at night I stack up 4 to 6 of the larger blocks (biobrics xl). In the morning there are still large coal chunks burning.

I admit I was somewhat stressed about going through our first winter in a large 1858 house with only two woodstoves. With the most recent cold snap we keep the woodstoves going constantly, and I must say it was quite comfortable.

FLIR_20240114_011334_873.jpg

Reactions: kcmclellan
That is a cool spot to read the temperature. What does it read at the center right after the convection deck lid?

I have a FLIR One gen 3 camera that has a maximum range of 300F. The "pro" camera costs $441 and can read up to 780F, but I didn't want to shell out that much. Mainly I use the camera for detecting cold air leaks and testing the electrical system.

FLIR_20240120_035313_788.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, a 300º limit is not a lot of use on a wood stove though it makes for colorful pictures.

Reactions: EbS-P