Masonary heater with water loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a Masonary heater and am looking to tie the following drawing into it. Feedback on the design would be appreciatated.

456D737A-1EE0-46BA-AF0D-376BE520C358.jpeg

Reactions: monkfarm
The loop would have to be substantial to make enough hot water for base board heaters. I think a more appropriate application would be a DHW coil.

There was a thread where someone built a masonry heater outside (so like an OWB). It was insulated. It was made to heat water, too. But his was a passive system. It had a large radiator built outside the firebox. He claimed to be able to heat his house and garage. Sorry, I don't remember the title of the thread.

I have a Masonary heater and am looking to tie the following drawing into it. Feedback on the design would be appreciatated.

View attachment 308607
I don't know if anyone has covered this, but it may be prudent to have a high spot in the system where you could release air, or maybe I didn't see that in your design. I have a pipe going up 2 1/2 ' (.75 meters) with a brass plug in my 1904 house in the upstairs with a boiler system. Sometimes air gets in there so bad it slows or stops the flow of water.
I turn on the supply water, and make sure the pump is running and slowly loosen the plug. I can hear the air release.
I've been wanting to build a masonary mass stove in the house. My wife has not wanted that much construction going on in the house.
How long did it take for you to build yours?

I don't know if anyone has covered this, but it may be prudent to have a high spot in the system where you could release air, or maybe I didn't see that in your design. I have a pipe going up 2 1/2 ' (.75 meters) with a brass plug in my 1904 house in the upstairs with a boiler system. Sometimes air gets in there so bad it slows or stops the flow of water.
I turn on the supply water, and make sure the pump is running and slowly loosen the plug. I can hear the air release.
I've been wanting to build a masonary mass stove in the house. My wife has not wanted that much construction going on in the house.
How long did it take for you to build yours?
I bought the house and the Masonary heater was already in it, 1837 stone house with an addition in 2006 and the construction of the Masonary. When I bought the place 2 years ago, the stainless pipe coming out of the heater wasn’t hooked up to anything and because I am trying not to use any propane and rely on a pellet stove and the Masonary heater, the basement gets cool. I bought two earlier 1900s cast iron rads and decided to see if it would work.

Thank You for the input on the air vent, I bought one yesterday and added it to the loop, it is the high point of the system. Got it all hooked up today, tonight’s fire will be the test.

First fire with the rads, starting temp was 11.5 C, used fresh well water so it wasn’t warm to start. At the height of the burn, the rads hit 64 C and are radiating very well. Starting pressure was 30 PSI and at the height of the burn, pressure topped out at 35 PSI. Basement temp rose 5 degrees C during the 2 hour burn. Will continue to monitor and see how long they radiate for and how well the basement holds the heat.

Can you post a photo of the water loop?

Those are some pretty high pressures. If you had a correctly functioning proper hydronic relief valve, it should have blown off. I would aim for 20psi max.

Reactions: SpaceBus
With my pressurized system, I was told by Gary Switzer (builder of my boiler) told me that pressure should be 10% of temperature. 180F=18psi. The pressure relief valve on my system is set to 30psi. It has blown once or twice when I didn’t have the pressure adjusted right, but I do heat my system to over 200F regularly.
Just FYI- check the relief valve at least once yearly, by manually relieving it with the lever, and also by intentionally over-pressurizing the system (with cold water). They can get stuck shut.

Reactions: damdog
With my pressurized system, I was told by Gary Switzer (builder of my boiler) told me that pressure should be 10% of temperature. 180F=18psi. The pressure relief valve on my system is set to 30psi. It has blown once or twice when I didn’t have the pressure adjusted right, but I do heat my system to over 200F regularly.
Just FYI- check the relief valve at least once yearly, by manually relieving it with the lever, and also by intentionally over-pressurizing the system (with cold water). They can get stuck shut.
Thank You,

I bought the house and the Masonary heater was already in it, 1837 stone house with an addition in 2006 and the construction of the Masonary. When I bought the place 2 years ago, the stainless pipe coming out of the heater wasn’t hooked up to anything and because I am trying not to use any propane and rely on a pellet stove and the Masonary heater, the basement gets cool. I bought two earlier 1900s cast iron rads and decided to see if it would work.

Thank You for the input on the air vent, I bought one yesterday and added it to the loop, it is the high point of the system. Got it all hooked up today, tonight’s fire will be the test.
One thing I neglected to mention was to stop the output or end of loop with a valve to really apply pressure on the air vent when you are releasing air.

They can get stuck shut...and when exercising them they all too often weep afterward...classic danged if you do, danged if you don't situation

Reactions: SpaceBus