Masonry Fireplace - Interior Wall/Two Story Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RPT2004

Aug 6, 2019
Maryland
We are in the preliminary phases of design of a new house. The wife wants a masonry fireplace on an interior wall and I have questions and concerns about this. On the second floor, the chimney will pass through where the master bedroom/walk in closet will be in. First floor height is 9' and the firebox will be 48". My questions are:

1.) What can I expect the dimensions of the chimney to be once it passes through the floor system (what kind of void does it create in the second floor plan)? I saw something that said a chimney cannon change dimensions within 6" of floor system (?). So am curious, if the fireplace is 6' weed on the first floor, is that the amount of space it will take up on the second?

2.) On the second floor, can the chimney be exposed to the livable space or would it need to be framed-in with sheet rock over it?

Thanks in advance!

There will need to be a firestop at the 1st floor ceiling height. The clearance requirement for the chimney pipe on the second floor will be dictated by the pipe manufacturer. If it is double-wall insulated, this might by 2". It should framed in and rocked as described.

What is the make and model of the fireplace?

There will need to be a firestop at the 1st floor ceiling height. The clearance requirement for the chimney pipe on the second floor will be dictated by the pipe manufacturer. If it is double-wall insulated, this might by 2". It should framed in and rocked as described.

What is the make and model of the fireplace?
It is a masonry fireplace based on a 48" rumford style fireplace - so there is no pipe - clay flue liner with brick veneer.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in the preliminary phases of design of a new house. The wife wants a masonry fireplace on an interior wall and I have questions and concerns about this. On the second floor, the chimney will pass through where the master bedroom/walk in closet will be in. First floor height is 9' and the firebox will be 48". My questions are:

1.) What can I expect the dimensions of the chimney to be once it passes through the floor system (what kind of void does it create in the second floor plan)? I saw something that said a chimney cannon change dimensions within 6" of floor system (?). So am curious, if the fireplace is 6' weed on the first floor, is that the amount of space it will take up on the second?

2.) On the second floor, can the chimney be exposed to the livable space or would it need to be framed-in with sheet rock over it?

Thanks in advance!
I am not aware of any code about changing dimension within 6" of the floor system. Not saying it doesn't exist just not anything I have read in the codes.

Yes it can be exposed but you need to maintain 2" of clearance from the outside of that chimney structure to any combustible materials.

I would strongly recommend looking into prefab fireplaces. If you want a recreational open fire there are lots of them available. But there are also lots of options for high efficiency units which will actually contribute heat to the house. The prefab units cost much less to install and can look every bit as good with better performance than site built masonry.

Reactions: RPT2004
I have just such a fireplace, it is pictured at left.

deEXMGpl.jpg

Here it is on the second floor. It measures 5 foot 4 by 2 foot 4 as it comes through the second floor.
The width of the fire box is 42 inches. This is a modified Rumford. For a fireplace it is a pretty good heater.

No, you certainly don't need to box it in on the second floor. I love the looks of mine with all the rocks.
On the other hand, you won't get any heat out of it on the second floor.

But, if you build it right, you can get a lot of heat out of the back wall on the first floor. If you need any advice, ask me. The back wall of mine is the wall of the bathroom and it really cranks out the heat, for 24 hours, after a good fire.

Last edited: