Masonry Heater Hardware For Less

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwee

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Idaho
Last time I checked an oven door was over $500, and so was a main door. One could buy a wood stove just for the cost of a masonry heater's doors. Max Edleson of Firespeaking is trying to bring the costs down. This is much more reasonable (around $200+) for the Do-It-Yourselfer.

If river rock or common brick used for the outer material, the major cost will be the firebrick. Or one could make the insides from a kit (large pieces). He is selling masonry heater kits - I wonder how affordable they are? Maybe the DIY'er could construct one for roughly the cost of a good wood stove.

He also has hardware for a cabin stove. This is a smaller simpler masonry heater that has a cook top. I think it is a single skin design - so might not be allowed in some areas (double layers are allowed). Good for a cabin - so called the cabin stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeK
He says this cabin stove is a cross between a rocket mass heater and a masonry heater. I think the top metal part comes from Germany. This part is in the fire and has to expand precisely in order to not crack and not allow any gas leakage. One could plaster a thin second skin over the bricks for better looks and to make it double layered (so it meets code requirements).

https://www.firespeaking.com/cabin-stove/

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeK