Massive 1950's Spherical Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kgame

Jan 18, 2020
email
kga.me
What is a wood stove like this worth? I can't find any like it online.

It comes with 4 Selkirk Metalbestos 8UT-48 8-Inch X 48-Inch Stainless Steel Insulated Chimney Pipes and other smaller adapters as well.

The shape is round/orb/sphere/spherical/globular/ball-shaped/globe-shaped.

IMG_4911.JPG
hearth (3).JPG
IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4899.JPG
hearth (5).JPG

Reactions: Zombie
What is a wood stove like this worth? I can't find any like it online.

It comes with 4 Selkirk Metalbestos 8UT-48 8-Inch X 48-Inch Stainless Steel Insulated Chimney Pipes and other smaller adapters as well.

The shape is round/orb/sphere/spherical/globular/ball-shaped/globe-shaped.

View attachment 282621 View attachment 282622 View attachment 282623 View attachment 282624 View attachment 282625
Looks home made or at a local welding shop. Also very doubtful it is from the 50s more likely 70s or early 80s. It's worth a couple hundred bucks

Reactions: kgame
Looks like it was built from a propane tank or at least the ends of the tank

Interesting as a novelty. Worst possible shape for a wood stove! Sphere has the most volume inside with the least amount of (heat radiating) surface. Plus, all the flue gasses are almost perfectly funneled to the stove pipe for quick evacuation and virtually no time to transfer heat to the stove. Combine that plus the door with no seal and I'd expect this to be a wood gobbling monster!

Value, I don't know - wouldn't be worth scrap metal prices to me as I'd still have to haul it and dump it. Possibly if it were embellished a bit more, it might up the conversation piece value for someone.

proxy.jpg

The Lincoln stove was spherical and is a highly prized collector item. And yes, there is the Marine Mine stove too.

Fireplace_Mine_02.jpg

It's a custom wood stove converted from 1940s propane storage tank.

Shell thickness: .276 inches

Capacity: 250 gallons

Manufacture date: July 1948

Manufactured by: American Pipe And Construction CO. Steel tank and pipe division. Portland, Oregon

Massive 1940s Spherical Wood Stove 1 by kgame.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zombie
BG. Yea I saw them modern design and i think you would be better off to with a bari with something you got to have...lol clancey