Maul recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a X27, haven't used it a lot, but every time I do I am disappointed. I am used to Monster Maul that I have used for almost 40 years, only rewelded the handle once. I must split wood that is too hard or something. Mostly elm and boxelder sometimes if I am lucky an oak. I have ones I can't split I use my Hydralic splitter that just lays on the ground and roll them on.

I'd been using a Fiskars Super Splitter as my only axe. It's a great axe, but doesn't do well on large (28-32") rounds of douglas fir, which is probably the most common wood where I live.
Hmmmm....My Fiskars X27 does very well and can get 90% of the big Doug Fir we have . Rounds that are 32 inches are not a problem. I would suggest trying to take it from the outside in instead of chopping it dead in half. Slice the outsides off in 4 inch or so slabs and then after one or two of those it should split right apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.