Max chimney connector height?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goneguy

Oct 18, 2008
Southshore MA
Looking through the installation manual for my Vermont Castings Aspen wood stove I read: In cathedral ceiling installations, extend the prefabricated chimney downward to within 8 feet of the stove.
My ceiling is 17 feet high. Subtracting about two feet for the height of the stove, I need about 15 feet of pipe to do this job. Do I really need to bring the chimney down 9 feet to do this job correctly? I was hoping to run single wall chimney connector from stove to ceiling. I am in Massachusetts.

I'm the unofficial bumper of the evening - consider yourself bumped.
(THAT'S 3 - I'M NOW OFF DUTY)

This one has had me head scratching. All I can guess is that they don't want a long length of single wall pipe cooling the flue gases. I've read that this stove can be a little fussy with draft.

That said, although I generally don't like going against the manual, but I'd probably extend the cathedral ceiling box about 3-4 feet and then connect to the stove with indoor double-wall connector pipe.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would not follow the manual to the letter and run mostly stove connector to the ceiling but now the whole project has been changed. We are now going to put this little stove in a different room with an 8 foot ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.