may be stupid question but....(jotul 3)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spam

May 11, 2011
southern RI
I have an old jotul #3 that we love , however the little stove seems to eat a lot of wood and create a lot of gunk in the pipes compared to stoves only a few years newer. After downloading several owners manuals from jotul to try and I/D my stove ,I noticed that ALL of the older jotul #3 stoves look almost identical and many use the same part numbers. So would it be possible to put a converter or baffle or burn tubes into my old stove?? If not It looks like I will just have to save my $ for the next few years and get something like a qudrafire. I just HATE to get rid of such a simple and sturdy little stove. thanks:)

Spam,

Im not sure if the "Junk" in the pipes you are refering to is creosote but you may want to try buring some better wood with lower mositure content to start with. Again im no expeetrt like other guys on here but it would be the easier and cheaper place to start.....Good Luck!

Yes creosote lol,I have to clean the thing every 3 months to feel safe. The cap is what gets the worst,almost clogs the diamond screen. I switched to woodbricks and this helps with burn times a lot but still get a lot of creosote at the very top of fleu pipe. I use about 2 palets of bricks or 3 cords of wood per year to heat a 800sq ft home. Is this normal?

Are you out of the ouse a lot whereby you dial down the air intake to smolder? That may be creating all your creosote. Have you checked a piece of freshly split wood to get a moisture reading. You can burn a lot of wet wood and not get much heat from it. Under 20% moisture read is what you should be shooting for. Others here may know more about moisture readings and retrofitting a baffle. You may find more help on the baffle in the pre-EPA section. I recall baffle help instructions for the Fisher Stove under the pre EPA forum

You may also want to check how well the pipe is insulated at the cap. Alot of the times if it is not insulated well it will cause more creosote. Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.