McMaster-Carr chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I was browsing the McMaster-Carr catalog today and found that they sell what looks to be Class A chimney. Here is the description and link:

High-Temperature Insulated Chimney Vents

These sections have multiple layers and lock in place without screws or fasteners. Simply twist together and secure with locking bands. Use with gas- and oil-fired equipment such as steam and hot-water boilers. All are made of 28-ga. Type 304 stainless steel, unless noted. They have 1" of insulation tightly packed between inner and outer stainless steel walls for maximum temperature protection, strength, and corrosion resistance. Allow a minimum clearance of 2" from combustibles. Maximum temperature is 1000° F. UL listed.

Tees have a removable cap. Top caps keep out rain, snow, and debris. Pipe adapters connect single-wall flue pipes to insulated pipes. Ceiling supports are made of 27-ga. galvanized steel with a 28-ga. Type 304 stainless steel adapter, unless noted. Wall bands stabilize the chimney along the wall (chimneys should be supported every 8 ft.). Storm collars and adjustable flashing are required where the chimney penetrates the roof. They're made of 28-ga. steel with a zinc/aluminum coating.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/609

Would this be suitable for installing an Englander 28-3500 in my basement?

Does it say what applications the vent is UL-listed for?

You can get good stuff from McMaster (I've posted a few links to them here myself) but it bugs me that there's no way to find out the actual manufacturer and model number of the article... except by ordering it and reading the box it comes in.

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:
Does it say what applications the vent is UL-listed for?

You can get good stuff from McMaster (I've posted a few links to them here myself) but it bugs me that there's no way to find out the actual manufacturer and model number of the article... except by ordering it and reading the box it comes in.

Eddy

Just call them and ask them who the MFR is. They will tell you. I hadda do that this week for something for work...they are good to deal with.

i may be a bit off topic here, but a good place to buy chimney pipe is ace true value hardware. you can find some of their stuff online, but if you go to the store, they can get it all. i went to a stove dealer and they couldn't get me all the parts i needed and wanted $1100. i then went to ace and they got me everything on my list for $800. i had to wait a week for it to come in as they don't stock it, but the savings were well worth the wait. you just need to know what you want, as they don't have the knowledge of a stove dealer. but for the do it yourself chimney installer, i highly recommend ace. oh, and they carry metalbestos, but may be able to get others also.

Turns out the pipe is made by Excelsior Manufacturing and Supply in Elgin, IL: http://excelsiorhvac.com/home.htm The website isn't really all that elaborate, so I put in an e-mail to customer service asking if this particular chimney was rated for wood applications. I did notice though that other chimney systems are rated for more than 1000 degrees-is this anything to be concerned about?

Exactly. They have some of the best phone people in the business. They don't know everything, but are tenacious and thorough, and will find you the answers to, in my experience, even the hardest question. I often have better luck with them than with the manufacturers themselves, since the M-C people seem to know who to go straight to who actually knows things.

Oh, when they list few items from a manufacturer's line, but not what you need, they can often get it, as can they usually get delisted stuff from earlier catalogs as long as the manufacturer still makes it. I've gotten oddball Parker fittings and Allegeny seals this way, that no one else could supply.

woodconvert said:
Just call them and ask them who the MFR is. They will tell you. I hadda do that this week for something for work...they are good to deal with.

They really surprised the heck out of me a few months ago. I ordered a drum pump via the internet at 3pm. UPS delivered it the next day at noon! Standard shipping. Talk about an efficient operation! Wow!

Ken

That is fast! Any faster and they'd be delivering stuff before you know you need it.

I have had two deliveries like that from Grainger. It was like it was on the UPS truck before I called.

Glad to hear M-C is like that. I have a couple of things that I need to order from them.

UPS ground is next day up to about 200 miles around here. Our factory ships stuff out up to 7PM as long as I get it entered by 5PM and UPS will generally have it in my hands by 10-11 the next day-less than 24 hours. If I could get them to not smash it up so bad...

McMaster is kinda like Grainger on steroids. Incredible selection, but almost always available cheaper somewhere else.

Chris

McMaster is kinda like Grainger on steroids. Incredible selection, but almost always available cheaper somewhere else.

I think as a society, we have come to reward "cheap" over service and have destroyed service in this country. So we end up with the typical Walmart "don't know 'nuthin, don't bother me attitude" to save a little money. Good service does cost money and we have to decide if we want zero service at a cheap price, or are we willing to pay more than Walmart prices.

In my case, I drove all around the local area, spent a half day searching for a drum pump for diesel fuel. TSC had them, but without hoses. They tried to sell me washing machine hoses (that didn't fit) for diesel :(

Ken

Oh, when they list few items from a manufacturer’s line, but not what you need, they can often get it, as can they usually get delisted stuff from earlier catalogs as long as the manufacturer still makes it. I’ve gotten oddball Parker fittings and Allegeny seals this way, that no one else could supply.

That's a lil' known secret I should have mentioned...if they don't have the size of the widget you need listed or don't have the widget you need listed at all, they will jump through flaming hoops to get it to you.

As others have said though, yes, you can almost bet that you can find what you are looking for for less somewhere else but if you need something(s) yesterday you cannot beat them. Either call or web order by 3pm and it's sittin' here at 10:30am.

How cool would it be to have a McMaster-Carr store in your town????....oooooooooooooh

woodconvert said:
How cool would it be to have a McMaster-Carr store in your town????....oooooooooooooh

I dunno; ever since our Grainger branches set up showrooms I can't seem to get out the door with something I didn't come in for. :)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.