Measuring moisture content

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
So now I have this two-pin moisture meter with the little pins that penetrate the wood maybe 1/4". My question is what can I figure the moisture is in the middle of that split compared with the measurement on the outside or end? Has anyone taken a measure on the surface or end of a thick split and then split it open to see what the meter reads on the inside?

MC must be taken from a freshly split face for accuracy.

MC must be taken from a freshly split face for accuracy.

Yep.. Fox9988 has it.

All measurements are to be taken from a fresh split piece. Even when I would split a fresh piece, I would take measurements from several different areas on the split. Checking it with the grain and against the grain of the wood.

Checking the outside or end is no way of getting a true reading.

In addition to testing on a freshly split face, orient the pins so that they're parallel to the grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.