Measuring stove pipe temperature...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I always wondered about this:

I have a case where I can not put my external magnetic thermometer at 18" above the stove. I know I could buy internal thermometer but it is a double wall (telescopic) pipe & it would be a problem come cleaning. So my only single wall is the flue collar that goes 8" above the stove. If the external temp. at that height is 400* what would it be at 18" ?

Thanks

PS I do have a second thermometer on the griddle.

394.345 degrees :)

Actually given the approximate accuracy of these thermometers, any temp reading will likely be +/- 5 or 10 degrees. So slightly cooler is the best answer I can give.

Both my magnetics are stuck on single wall pipe just above the flue collars. I don't think there's anything magic about 18". Mine are about 3" above the stovetops, and I like them there. We've come to know, understand, and appreciate each other (at least I know that's how I feel about them...it would be presumptuous of me to speak on behalf of either thermometer). Rick

BeGreen said:
394.345 degrees :).

yeah, I figured it wouldn't be too much off :lol:

Thanks

If you consider the thermometer simply a guide, rather than an accurate temperature reading device, then you can put it almost anywhere reasonable. Just watch your burn carefully, as you should be able to tell the range when everything seems just right. That will be the temp range you will be aiming for whenever possible. More than that, probably too hot. Less than that, wood burning down or too cool.

My stove, the "purr" starts about 250-275, goes very nicely at 300-350, and certainly appears that it might be getting too hot above 375, although when it is really cold and windy, we may push it to 400.

Diabel said:
I always wondered about this:

I have a case where I can not put my external magnetic thermometer at 18" above the stove. I know I could buy internal thermometer but it is a double wall (telescopic) pipe & it would be a problem come cleaning. So my only single wall is the flue collar that goes 8" above the stove. If the external temp. at that height is 400* what would it be at 18" ?

Thanks

PS I do have a second thermometer on the griddle.

First off, as far as cleaning goes the thermometer that I have is made to be removed for just that reason. Its made by Condar. I think around $30. I have it installed in a double wall telescopic pipe as well, 18 inches up from the fire box as directed. Its just held in there by a magnet and pulls out real easy for cleaning. I just drilled a hole through both walls of the pipe and installed it. It works very well. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.