Measuring the thermal trip point of the low limit snap disc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
In the lab checking out this Magnum CountrySide low limit. This is not the switch that turns the convection blower on, it is the one that shuts down the auger if it does not close at approx 110 - 20 degrees F
See test setup.
Meter set for the lowest 200 ohm scale and reads 1 that shows an open circuit before heat is applied.
After applying heat, when the temp hits approx 117 degrees f the contacts close and the meter reads 0.3 which is essentially a closed circuit and well within the specification of this unit.
Note: If the screws that mount the snap switch are loose then the switch may not trip. Even though this is an air stream mount which has the round protrusion that mounts in the 3/4” hole, most of the heat needed to trip the bimetallic disc comes from conduction and not convection. :)
Anyone else try that?

661A4D50-4BF3-4FE7-BA27-02BD9FA55FF8.jpeg 7FD58313-04CF-4354-9A05-BA32375D6DAA.jpeg 99F1FFE7-03DA-4380-BD90-AD4D4EB1CD13.jpeg

Last edited:
Good tip! I haven't had to do that with the pellet stove yet, but I've tested that way on my campers water heater switches before.

Ray

Reactions: Don2222