measuring wood/prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
I know how much a cord of wood is, but is thre any way you can measure amount of wood (how much) by filling up your pick-up truck.

If so can you give bed size and amount that loaded with going price.

What is the going price of a chord of wood???

CrappieKeith said:
Usually a big heaping pile willl make a cord .
A heaping pile without sideboards is about half a cord. If loose tossed, you need it to be a big heap, up to the top of the cab.

Piles vary depending on how it is stacked or not.
Once out of the truck...stack it 4 foot by 4 foot and see how long of a pile you'll make.
Don't pay for it until it's stacked if you want to make sure your getting a cord.

My guy dumps 2 cord a load with his dump truck.He always gives me more than I pay for.

CrappieKeith said:
My guy dumps 2 cord a load with his dump truck.He always gives me more than I pay for.
Do you mean like this guy's two cord?
CHECKPHOTOS085.jpg

Woodheat.org has a page on 'What Is A Cord'. Lists and has pictures of all of the ways it can be measured.

I pay $185. for a cord of mixed hardwood. Most wood sellers sell for over $200. here but my guy still charges what he originally charged me when I first started buying from him.

If I want red oak the price jumps to $400 a cord.....Has to be shipped in....Needless to say, I only bought it once to see if it was worth all the extra money. It has lasted me 3 winters. Our temps. just haven't been that cold lately so I just use it sparingly on the really cold days and even then it gets mixed with the other hardwoods.

Simple measure that I use ... Measure your stack in inches H x W x L then divide that result by 1728 and that will give you your cubic footage of said stack. Thus, a cord is 48x48x96 = 221,184/1728 = 128 And, if you want to get tricky and you have pyramid stack of wood you just measure it out as if it were a square stack, then divide by 2 and there you have it.
As far as cost around here ... it's a pretty wide range but I generally go for Red Fir from a new guy whose close and will deliver, $190 a cord. Or, if I want some excellent Birch I can get it for around $170 but I have to drive about 35 miles one-way and pick it up myself as delivery is too much of my money! But a lot of places in the area are starting to really jack it up... $220 to $280 a cord for much of their supply. Hardwoods you'll pay the high end there naturally... add tax and delivery for some of the places and it's getting pretty pricey!

LLigetfa said:
CrappieKeith said:
A heaping pile without sideboards is about half a cord. If loose tossed, you need it to be a big heap, up to the top of the cab.

It's not possible to get a full cord into a standard long bed loose stacked.

Bigg_Redd said:
LLigetfa said:
CrappieKeith said:

It's not possible to get a full cord into a standard long bed loose stacked.
That's why I said about a half cord.

A half cord is a heaping pile neatly piled or a BIG heaping pile if loose tossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.