Meeco FireEx - Fireman's friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First of all, glad everyone made it out ok.

Based on what I've read so far, I'm leaning towards some sort of blockage - what and how is the question. I can't see it being an animal since it would have to be climbing around a hot flue to begin with, which in my mind is unlikely.

Ice in the flue right after the burn in seems unlikely as well.

According to the mfr the product is non corrosive. Post one edited

So when is your guy coming out? The suspense is palpable. :p

I had a low draft episode with my boiler last weekend, one I hadn't seen before. Almost completely killed the fire. But it was snowing like crazy out (a Nor'easter), and it was the thickest stickiest snow we had seen for a long time. I think that stuff simply built up and partly blocked my cap opening - it was hanging a foot thick on everything the next morning.

Reactions: Highbeam
So when is your guy coming out? The suspense is palpable. :p

I had a low draft episode with my boiler last weekend, one I hadn't seen before. Almost completely killed the fire. But it was snowing like crazy out (a Nor'easter), and it was the thickest stickiest snow we had seen for a long time. I think that stuff simply built up and partly blocked my cap opening - it was hanging a foot thick on everything the next morning.

Dunno. I am pretty much to wanting a camera on a string after the professional brushout.

This is the worst possible time of year to be up on roofs, melting snow, exposed ice dams out over the eaves, might be a couple months.

Stuff is supposed to be non corrosive, i probably will clean out my firebox tonight.

If possible it might be good to also lower the camera down there before the brushout. That is unless the chimney is obviously badly restricted at the top.

Zinc is noncorrosive but kills cats. Heck water is noncorrosive but steel corrodes. Especially in the presence of that high pH ash. I think that there are varying degrees of corrosiveness and that meeco has a marketing department.

Fire Ex is a fire suppressant. There are other main ingredients like ammonium chloride, sodium nitrate and sulfur that are corrosive. I would assume the corrosive effects to be minimal if this is used rarely in the stove's lifetime and one cleans out the stove after use. They may also poison a cat. I guess we'll find out soon in this case.

I use old cellphones for that stuff. The one time I dropped an old phone down my flue I used "IP Webcam" for android to stream video from the old phone, and watched it with VLC on my regular cellphone from the roof. It was kind of dizzying... I did have it on a string so getting it to face a particular direction was challenging. If I developed a reason to want to do that again, I'd tape the old phone to the fiberglass rods I sweep with.

Reactions: Poindexter
In this case i think a professional inspection with a good camera may be waranted. Just to make sure nothing abnormal is going on. It sounds to me like a sheet of stuff probably came off the side and blocked the flue but i would want to know.

In this case i think a professional inspection with a good camera may be waranted. Just to make sure nothing abnormal is going on. It sounds to me like a sheet of stuff probably came off the side and blocked the flue but i would want to know.

Is that common? I burned wet wood low and slow a LOT the first year with the new BK, and I never saw anything that could have formed a sheet in my flue. But you see a LOT more flues than I do! :)

Whatever blocked it should still be in there, I'd think.

Is that common? I burned wet wood low and slow a LOT the first year with the new BK, and I never saw anything that could have formed a sheet in my flue. But you see a LOT more flues than I do! :)

Whatever blocked it should still be in there, I'd think.
No not common but it happens

Technically it's correct to claim those ingredients are not corrosive, very few dry powders are corrosive, they only get corrosive when you add water...
Ammonium chloride is a chloride salt which will certainly be corrosive over time, and Sulfur will burn to form Sulfur Dioxide and eventually Sulfuric Acid.

Those ingredients are very odd, I suppose it depends on relative quantities, but apart from the Ammonium Chloride, it looks like a basic incendiary mix of oxidizer and fuel. The Zinc, Sulfur and Sodium Nitrate will burn vigorously together, presumably the intent is to create a dust cloud of inert agents, to coat the burning creosote. I'd get all those swept out of my flue as quickly as possible, but I wouldn't worry about it beyond that. Continue to worry about the original cause.

TE

@Poindexter did they drop chains down the chimney to break up the alleged obstruction? If so, that may have eliminated any evidence of a blockage, or will at least make the chimney sweep’s job that much more difficult trying to re-construct what caused the smoke condition in your house to begin with.