Mega-stor Thermosiphoning ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaming Pile

Nov 13, 2008
Northern PA
I moved my mega-stor the other day and eliminated a zone valve and relay. It's on a seperate loop with its own circulator so I figure it doesn't need a zone valve. Now it seems to be thermosiphoning. I had the aquastat turned all the way down yet the water temp was about 120*F. The supply and return piping stayed hot even though the circ. was not running. I've never dealt with this issue before. Is it common? Any input would be appreciated.

Not familiar with Mega-store... I have a home built tank with an exchanger coil that will thermosiphon from time to time.
Use a check or pump with built in check or reinstall the zone valve

Quite possible. You may need check protection on the supply and return. A circ with a check built in and a flow check, zone valve, or spring check on the other side.

Hot goes to cold, always. So ghost flow is always possible. If the piping is short or the tank above the boiler is tends to increase the potential for ghost flows.

It is possible for this to happen in a single pipe also. Warmer water travels up the core and cooler falls around the outer layer.

hr

It is possible for this to happen in a single pipe also. Warmer water travels up the core and cooler falls around the outer layer.

hr

I always wondered how that worked. Never thought of coaxial flow. Sounds like one more thing that is easier to do with larger pipes.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably throw the zone valve back in this weekend. It was up around 140* yesterday so I shut it down just to be safe.

Still Smokin’ said:
Thanks for the input. I'll probably throw the zone valve back in this weekend. It was up around 140* yesterday so I shut it down just to be safe.

If it has a dedicated circ a better route may be to just install a check somewhere on the outlet side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.