Dwins Posted By Dwins, Sep 29, 2018 at 11:19 PM

1. Dwins

Dwins
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 29, 2018
    Loc:
    Canada
    we have replaced the glass in the door of our stove with a ceramic glass. I sealed it in with stove cement however after it burning all day when it cooled off the glass cracked.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. kennyp2339

kennyp2339
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2014
    Loc:
    check this out: https://www.onedayglass.com/woodstove-glass/selecting-best-material-fireplace-woodstove/

Also while I never replaced my door glass, I don't think stove cement is the proper sealer, I think regular gasket material since it can adjust with the door (warm up and cool downs) I have a feeling that the glass cracked because it couldn't move when the door flexed due to metal expanding / contracting during the heat up and cool down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. XmasTreefarmer

XmasTreefarmer
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I would check the manual for your stove. Most (all?) stoves have a gasket that goes between the glass and the door frame and tabs or small brackets that hold the glass in place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yeah glass will expand and contract at a different rate it cant be cemented in.

5. Dwins

Dwins
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 29, 2018
    Loc:
    Canada
    We are still trying to figure out how to install the glass in our door Meridian stove.
    Nobody seems to know or understand what we should use to seal it on the inside.
    We had a fireplace store say to just use the screws. That won’t work to keep it airtight

HELP

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Typically the glass has a gasket and then a metal frame or tabs to hold it in place against the gasket.

7. Dwins

Dwins
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 29, 2018
    Loc:
    Canada
    Yes that is the way new fireplaces are, however the Meridian doors were not the same. There is a screw on each end to hold the glas and then it is sealed with a compound of some sort around the entire door.