Meridian Woodstove Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EricML

Jun 21, 2022
Oregon
Hello

I recently inherited a Meridian ceramic woodstove. I plan on installing it in a gazebo on our patio and using it as an oven for cooking (mainly pizza). Does anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing I'll need some kind of grate and wondering where to source it. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure that will work out. The Meridian has a special chimney and convection system. It is not designed for outdoor use. The stove may be better to sell and get a purpose-built pizza oven in place.

I'm pretty committed to giving it a try. The stove means a lot to us and it will look great in the gazebo. If anyone has any ideas on what to put inside to support the pizza stone, let me know.

Thanks

I'm pretty committed to giving it a try. The stove means a lot to us and it will look great in the gazebo. If anyone has any ideas on what to put inside to support the pizza stone, let me know.

Thanks
Hi, I've been puzzling over how to do this for years, and have no insights. The original builders spoke glowingly of using them to cook, but I never saw any attachments or suggestions on how to do that. I disagree with the person who said that they could not be used outside, and have seen people use them outside. But no idea on how you would grate the stove safely or effectively. A few thoughts: The ceramic composite on the inside is important to the operation of the stove and not immensely sturdy. You should not use a grate that damages the lining of the stove. Second, if you fashion a pizza stone and set it over a flame at the bottom of the bowl, the ventilation holes must be situated where your fire is, or you will get smoke, not flame. In my model, it would be close to impossible to accomplish installing or removing such a stone with the flame running. I tend to think that coals cooking is about all that you can safely do, but if you figure anything out, will you share? [email protected]. BTW, I have a small pellet pizza oven ($200 on Amazon, less on eBay) and agree that if you want to make your life easier and eat wood fired pizza, this would be the way to go.