Metal fab Double wall pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

soxfan000

Oct 22, 2018
Arizona
Hello.I am currently installing my metal fab chimney system on my house and I was wondering if I could use the metal fab telescoping 66” double wall pipe and a 2’ piece of double wall pipe between my stove and ceiling support box? The height between my stove collar and ceiling box is 74”. My supply house doesn’t seem to be much help on what pieces I need and this is what they have in stock. I appreciate any help.Thanks!

Sounds ok. The telescoping pipe would be reduced to 50 inches which is fine. It can go down to 36" if this is the TL66 pipe.

Yep that’s it. So do you see any reason why I couldn’t put another piece of double wall pipe between the telescoping piece and the ceiling box?

Yep that’s it. So do you see any reason why I couldn’t put another piece of double wall pipe between the telescoping piece and the ceiling box?
That’s very common to use fixed pieces as well as a telescoping section. The place you bought it couldn’t answer this question? That’s pretty scary!

They have been a bit frustrating to deal with. And the metal fab install instruction don’t really spell out if you can or cannot use other sections of pipe with a telescoping piece. I appreciate your help.

Their double wall installation instructions cover this.

If Double Wall Black pipe sections (DWB) are to be used, the Double Wall Black Adapter (DWBA) is required to be attached at the stove collar. It may be necessary to attach the adjustable length (DWB18A) section to the chimney ceiling support prior to installing the sections. Secure the DWB18A to the ceiling support with sheet metal screws. Slide one section of DWB into the DWB18A to allow the second section of DWB to be positioned over the DWBA. The first section can then be slid down to engage the second section. Secure all joints with sheet metal screws

I wasn’t planning on using any of that. Just the dwbtl 66 connected to the stove,extended out with a 2’ piece of dwb between that and ceiling support. The instruction for the dwbtl show connecting one end on stove collar and other end at ceiling box. I didn’t think it would be a problem adding another piece of dwb to the dwbtl but my instructions didn’t specifically show doing that.

The DWB18A in the instructions is just a shorter length of telescoping pipe.