Metal Pipe Inside Clay Lined Masonry Chimney Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

funbaker10

Oct 28, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi Everyone,

I need to make a new penetration into a masonry chimney to give my wood furnace connecting pipe more pitch between the furnace and the chimney connection. You may have seen a separate thread I started a couple days ago about some questions I have regarding this new penetration through the concrete block with clay liner chimney. As I ponder the new penetration details, a few more questions come to mind.

I know that it is common for a metal chimney pipe to be inserted inside the flue of a masonry chimney and used as the vent pipe for a wood burning appliance. My question is, when this is done does the metal pipe have to be "Class A" chimney pipe? Since the masonry chimney with clay liner is already an approved "Class A" chimney, I'm thinking there would be no good reason why the metal pipe running inside couldn't be single wall pipe.

I'm thinking just install a piece of 6" schedule 10 stainless steel pipe inside the existing clay lined chimney flue. Then make a nice, easily disassembled connection between this pipe and the connecting pipe from the furnace. If needed the pipe could be disassembled from the connecting pipe, pulled out from the top of the chimney, cleaned and reinstalled relatively easily.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Everyone,

I need to make a new penetration into a masonry chimney to give my wood furnace connecting pipe more pitch between the furnace and the chimney connection. You may have seen a separate thread I started a couple days ago about some questions I have regarding this new penetration through the concrete block with clay liner chimney. As I ponder the new penetration details, a few more questions come to mind.

I know that it is common for a metal chimney pipe to be inserted inside the flue of a masonry chimney and used as the vent pipe for a wood burning appliance. My question is, when this is done does the metal pipe have to be "Class A" chimney pipe? Since the masonry chimney with clay liner is already an approved "Class A" chimney, I'm thinking there would be no good reason why the metal pipe running inside couldn't be single wall pipe.

I'm thinking just install a piece of 6" schedule 10 stainless steel pipe inside the existing clay lined chimney flue. Then make a nice, easily disassembled connection between this pipe and the connecting pipe from the furnace. If needed the pipe could be disassembled from the connecting pipe, pulled out from the top of the chimney, cleaned and reinstalled relatively easily.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
No it needs to be a stainless liner. Either flex or rigid. With insulation