Metalbestos pipe question/issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sealcove

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Maine
I have an old Lopi Answer stove that I am installing in a shop, and I have been trying to recycle all of the stove pipe that was new with it in 2000 (all is lightly used and in great shape). I have already installed the exterior 6" stainless excel pipe, and all I need to do now is connect the stove to the adapter with the excel at the ceiling. It is a straight run of about 13' from the stove to the ceiling, but I only have about 10' of 6" double wall metalbestos DS pipe. So I need about a 36" pipe section and the job is complete, but the problem is that I cant find pipe that matches. All of the metalbestos I am seeing is called DS-DSP, and has an completely different connection system on the ends.

Does anyone have knowledge of the older style metalbestos pipe, and more importantly, can it still be obtained? I would like to avoid either buying all new pipe or having to raise the stove 3' off the ground.

Can Metalbestos double-wall correctly and securely mate with an Excel support box?

Yes, and they seem to mate as well as my all excel setup in the house. It was actually sold to me this way in 2000 and was in service in this combination for 8 years.

Two of my stovepipes were set up in 1985, made from Metalbestos parts. I added another chimney pipe a year ago, incorporating a couple lengths of pipe I had left over from another project back in '85. It all connected perfectly. As far as I can tell from this new project, the 26-yr.-old Metalbestos is the very same as what they are today selling. If there are any changes or differences, they are not obvious to me. So, you should be good to go.

The two are quite different. At least with DS versus DS-DSP, it is impossible to connect those two. When I first started the project I assumed the interior double wall pipe was excel because it looks close to identical to that, but two shops claimed it was metalbestos. I still have the original receipt, but it just says 6" DS.

What I have has a top end that looks like:
4238192.jpg

What I am finding has a top end that looks like:

images

You are correct. The new DSP will not mate with the old DS. We have some remnant 6DS Metalbest close clearance pipe. I will try to dig it out tomorrow and see if there's a 36" length or some combination that will give you 36" and I will let you know.

Thanks to both RS267 and Begreen! RS267, please let me know if you find anything. Will check back, and if not, I will explore the adapter route.

Sealcove,
I dug out the crate of old pipe and found 1 pc 6DS-36 (painted gray but a can of touch up paint will fix that), a bunch of 6DS-12" lengths and a bunch of 6DS-EZAJ (12"-18" adjustable). It's never been used but the boxes are kind of ratty and dusty. If it's anything you can use, give me a call here at Woodstock and we'll set you up.

Yea! Nice going Ron.

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Ron (RS267) at Woodstock Soapstone Company in West Lebanon, NH. He hooked me up with up with the parts I needed and was even willing to ship them to me.

Cheers Ron!

Status
Not open for further replies.