MF Fire Nova 2 Insert - A few questions on a new build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JeffromNJ

Oct 22, 2021
NJ
Wife wants something that looks as much like a fireplace as possible and I was something that throws off some heat, and the new 26% rebates makes using a stove more enticing since I can write off 26% of the stove, chimney and installation cost. If I insert a Nova 2 Insert into a new construction fireplace, should I expect heat loss due to the placement inside an enclosure? I would be building something like this, I assume the units blower will try to force out heat, but it seems this design goes against the concept of how a stove works re: radiating heat. I have a two story 3000 sq. ft. house with 8ft. ceilings so I don't expect a miracle, however would love to be able to heat the downstairs.

Anyone have any info regarding this unit and a configuration like I am contemplating?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

There have not been a lot comments on these but. The few I remember reading were positive. You need to install the insert in a code compliant masonry fireplace. Cost of adding one if one doesn’t exist is probably north of $20k. A better option is to look into alcove installs. They are a nice trade off of looking like a fireplace and cost of installation.

This is one of the best looking alcoves I have seen.

49D300A9-5638-4310-AFCB-27123D89BF90.png

Appreciate the reply, but that alcove does not have the look we wanted. As for cost, I was going to do the build myself and was thinking I could purchase a pre-fab firebox, like the Stone Age Manufacturing 36" Contractors Fireplace Kit, around $2500, and then connect it to a 6" pipe, which would need to be purchased anyway. Basically, I was hoping I could place the Nova 2 insert into the firebox for the required protection and code, without having to actually build a masonry chimney. With that done, I could build a wood frame around it and add some stone for looks.

stone-age-manufacturing-36-contractor-series-fireplace-with-arched-lintel-47.jpg

Take a look on the clearances listed in the nova 2 manual, there some pretty tight clearances needed for a non masonry fireplace application, This will be a very tough / expensive install to get the results your looking for while not putting your house at risk of burning down

Better check with your accountant before assuming that the cost of building the fireplace would be included in the 26% tax credit. And make sure that the structure can support the weight. IMO a better approach would be to buy a good, EPA ZC fireplace to start with, even if it doesn't qualify for the tax credit. And the ZC may be able to heat remote areas if ducted. Do the math on both carefully.

PS: If the fireplace room is large and/or heat can be ducted off the fireplace to another area of the house, the big Astria Montecito Estate qualifies for the tax credit. This is also sold as the Superior WCT6940WS.

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply, but that alcove does not have the look we wanted. As for cost, I was going to do the build myself and was thinking I could purchase a pre-fab firebox, like the Stone Age Manufacturing 36" Contractors Fireplace Kit, around $2500, and then connect it to a 6" pipe, which would need to be purchased anyway. Basically, I was hoping I could place the Nova 2 insert into the firebox for the required protection and code, without having to actually build a masonry chimney. With that done, I could build a wood frame around it and add some stone for looks.

stone-age-manufacturing-36-contractor-series-fireplace-with-arched-lintel-47.jpg
Does not appear that you can install an insert.

13CD9C03-0FF1-479E-90B3-58A52212C1AC.png

Better check with your accountant before assuming that the cost of building the fireplace would be included in the 26% tax credit. And make sure that the structure can support the weight. IMO a better approach would be to buy a good, EPA ZC fireplace to start with, even if it doesn't qualify for the tax credit. And the ZC may be able to heat remote areas if ducted. Do the math on both carefully.

PS: If the fireplace room is large and/or heat can be ducted off the fireplace to another area of the house, the big Astria Montecito Estate qualifies for the tax credit. This is also sold as the Superior WCT6940WS.
I think an entire fireplace would NOT be permissible for the tax credit, but I believe an aggressive tax position could include the cost of a firebox, necessary to install the insert.

I really like the Superior WCT6940WS, but now I'd be stepping up to an even more expensive price point, $5700 for just the unit as opposed to Nova 2 at $3900. Not including the firebox and other costs associated with the build.

Take a look on the clearances listed in the nova 2 manual, there some pretty tight clearances needed for a non masonry fireplace application, This will be a very tough / expensive install to get the results your looking for while not putting your house at risk of burning down
Not sure what clearances you refer to, but reading the Nova 2 Insert manual, it is like any other insert. The photo you showed was not the insert, maybe that's why you were thinking there would be tighter clearances required?

What would be the final cost for the proposed masonry setup + the Nova2 insert?

The Astria/Superior FP was just an example and that is list price. It can be found for around $7100 . That said, there are good EPA ZC fireplaces that sell for much less. For example, the Osburn Stratford II is around $3250. The Pacific Energy FP30 is around $3800.

Not sure what clearances you refer to, but reading the Nova 2 Insert manual, it is like any other insert. The photo you showed was not the insert, maybe that's why you were thinking there would be tighter clearances required?
my mistake there, for the masonry fireplace to be code complaint you will need 8" on masonry, that includes the manufactured part of the fireplace kit your looking at, you will also need structure underneath all of that to support the weight, that may require pouring a footing to support it all, still very expensive to say the least.

What would be the final cost for the proposed masonry setup + the Nova2 insert? The Astria/Superior FP was just an example and that is list price. It can be found for around $7100 . That said, there are good EPA ZC fireplaces that sell for much less. For example, the Osburn Stratford II is around $3250. The Pacific Energy FP30 is around $3800.
I think your pricing was a typo since list is around $5700, I assume you meant $5100. Perhaps you're correct that in the end, pricing might be similar for my installation. I was trying to seriously look at the one's with 26% credits since I could fold in installation costs too. Perhaps there are ZC that also qualify, I need to look into that.

Thanks

my mistake there, for the masonry fireplace to be code complaint you will need 8" on masonry, that includes the manufactured part of the fireplace kit your looking at, you will also need structure underneath all of that to support the weight, that may require pouring a footing to support it all, still very expensive to say the least.
Ahhh ... got it. None of this is inexpensive, although like everything, that is relative. I'm on a slab, so no support needed.

I think your pricing was a typo since list is around $5700, I assume you meant $5100. Perhaps you're correct that in the end, pricing might be similar for my installation. I was trying to seriously look at the one's with 26% credits since I could fold in installation costs too. Perhaps there are ZC that also qualify, I need to look into that.

Thanks
The list price for the Superior WCT6940 is $8,988

Sorry, I was looking online and saw it selling for $5661 (US$), so I guess its discounted from $8988.
Something seems wrong with that price. $7100 is ~ 20% off. $5661 would be 37% or at cost.

That's the price I found online, so maybe the company is looking to move product?
Can you post a link? It may be for a different Superior EPA FP. If valid, it's a steal.

I'm out now, but I can dm you the link tonight. The online company broke the unit into components and then you had to add in necessary items to bring the pricing up to where @begreen
Just to follow up for the board, the pricing I found for the superior WCT6940 was a bit suspect in hindsight. You had to add necessary components to the price I found, essentially raising the price to where @begreen suggested it should be. Yes, I would like a door, + $1000.

@JeffromNJ I was thinking about your project in general yesterday while cleaning the gutters at my house, I really think for the sake of money, design and efficiency you should consider a epa rated zero clearance fireplace, and then let your other half design the stone veneer work / surround area, it will be cheaper, less stress full and easier on the houses structure in the long run. Plus you'll have the benefit of fire, cheap heat and a serviceable unit thats covered easily by insurance

@JeffromNJ I was thinking about your project in general yesterday while cleaning the gutters at my house, I really think for the sake of money, design and efficiency you should consider a epa rated zero clearance fireplace, and then let your other half design the stone veneer work / surround area, it will be cheaper, less stress full and easier on the houses structure in the long run. Plus you'll have the benefit of fire, cheap heat and a serviceable unit thats covered easily by insurance
Funny you say this, because after reading some posts in this forum, I began thinking of trying to get a standalone stove that would require little other than a steel chimney. Thinking about building the surround, thank god my wife was there to provide exact plans on what she would like me to build, I began to think anything other than a stove would require me to start a new project.

I guess in the end there is no real correct answer, only compromises that get us most of what we want. TBH, and I am certain this would be considered heresy here, I am thinking about buying nothing more than a Pleasant Hearth WSL-2200B for $800, running a 15' stack through my roof, and calling it a day. The house I am in is going to be sold w/in 4 years and at such a low stove price, I don't care that its not efficient, won't qualify for the 26% percent credit, won't last more than 5 years, and won't burn for 10 hours overnight. This is a secondary heat source to warm as much of my house as I can get away with, but this project seems to have the ability to become a runaway if I don't keep a leash on things.

Reactions: charger4406
Funny you say this, because after reading some posts in this forum, I began thinking of trying to get a standalone stove that would require little other than a steel chimney. Thinking about building the surround, thank god my wife was there to provide exact plans on what she would like me to build, I began to think anything other than a stove would require me to start a new project.

I guess in the end there is no real correct answer, only compromises that get us most of what we want. TBH, and I am certain this would be considered heresy here, I am thinking about buying nothing more than a Pleasant Hearth WSL-2200B for $800, running a 15' stack through my roof, and calling it a day. The house I am in is going to be sold w/in 4 years and at such a low stove price, I don't care that its not efficient, won't qualify for the 26% percent credit, won't last more than 5 years, and won't burn for 10 hours overnight. This is a secondary heat source to warm as much of my house as I can get away with, but this project seems to have the ability to become a runaway if I don't keep a leash on things.
In that case, that idea of a free stander is a better plan, thats how I started, almost the same stove to, US stove 2500 lol, once I got situated with the stove and running it, I upgraded to a blaze king princess, havent looked back yet either. I originally had the 2500 upstairs in my living room, I was getting to much heat, baking myself out of there, I then moved the stove and chimney to the basement and have been much happier with that setup, I have saved so much money from burning fuel oil, I think my stove already paid for itself 3 times by now.

Just to follow up for the board, the pricing I found for the superior WCT6940 was a bit suspect in hindsight. You had to add necessary components to the price I found, essentially raising the price to where @begreen suggested it should be. Yes, I would like a door, + $1000.
Yes, the door and facade are important for finishing the job. There are options for these items depending on the look one wants to achieve, thus the fireplace body priced separately by some.

Think I might finally have the office install straight and now we are looking at stoves/fireplaces for the house. One for the living room and one for the basement. Main level of the house is 2,500 sf and the basement is 2,200 sf. In the living room, we would be going from a propane fireplace in the living room to a zero clearance fireplace that burns firewood. I am really contemplating the Superior WCT6940 since it is the only one that qualifies for the tax credit. The basement will have the Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid stove that I initially bought for my office. Thing is, I need a stove/fireplace that qualifies for the tax credit so I can get the tax credit on the chimney install. Just have to try to find the Superior WCT6940 at the best price possible.