Mid-season chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Had my sweep out today for my usual mid-season sweep. He climbed up on the roof. Admired our flue (an extend-a-flue) and checked liner.

Came back down and reported that I didn't need it cleaned. ;-)

So thanks to all of you for your help in teaching me how to burn hot and clean. This is the first time ever since I began 24/7 woodburning that we haven't needed mid-season cleaning.

Must say it has a lot to do with the new insert too. It loves to burn hot..600* and up.

Sent him on his way with a tip and money left in my pocket to pay a plumber who had to come out and fix a few things for us.....

Cleaned mine about a week ago. Lifted top off stove and a rope tied to brush pulled through the stove pipe & 90* out the "tee" thimble. Then put brush on rods and cleaned ss from the bottom up . About 2 cups of black flakes total. Time spent 1 hour max. HInt, try do do while wifey is away. LEss questions and clean up not a problem.

adrpga498, that is a good idea there to clean in stovepipe. I will ahve to try that one. I typically reach in through the exterior t with a steel brush taped to a stick and scrup away. I then stick my shop vac hose (from the outside) in to suck it all up

I love it when a plan comes together. Good wood, good know how, and a properly run stove. Priceless (well, except for the tip). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.