Mingo Firewood Marker??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck2

Burning Hunk
Aug 1, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
Just saw one of these on Bailey's- Was wondering if anyone has used one and if they work as they described it. I seem to have a problem judging length in the wood pile bucking up logs. I have spent countless hours with my old chop saw making everything 18inches long! I bought those sticks you screw on the side of the chainsaw but broke it off after the first couple of times i used it.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=265&catID;=

Attachments

• 265_L.jpg
    265_L.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 370
You can use the bar on your chain saw as a gauge if you want. If you have an 18" bar then go from bar tip to saw front. Score the length before you cut and there you go. I mean its in your hands anywho when bucking firewood right?

From what I've heard, they work, but are expensive, both for the marker itself, and the paint it goes through... I'd second the previous comments about using the bar as a measuring stick. If necessary use a sharpie or other permanent marker to put a marker on the saw or bar as needed. It's a quick and easy technique to just turn the saw sideways after a cut and use it to measure to the next one - I usually pick a spot of lichen or bark irregularity to mark my spot while I put the bar in place and make the cut. Fast, easy, and doesn't add to the amount of stuff to schlepp around...

Gooserider

HittinSteel said:
I use a [strike]17[/strike]" 16" dowl and a hatchet to make the mark
LOL

How often do you hit the dowel? I use a long stick with notches and I keep nicking it. Time for a new one.

really it is about 16 1/2" so I aim a little to the right and usually end up cutting a round 17-18" which is perfect

LLigetfa said:
HittinSteel said:
I use a [strike]17[/strike]" 16" dowl and a hatchet to make the mark
LOL

How often do you hit the dowel? I use a long stick with notches and I keep nicking it. Time for a new one.

I do the same. Mark a scrap stick of ~1"x1/4" trim or whatever I have around at 18" intervals, then use a little hatchet. Goes pretty quickly. And yes, I do hit the stick from time to time, then it goes into the kindling box and I mark up a new one. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.