Mini/nano/micro camera drone for in-chimney inspection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I strongly suspect that shielding causing a signal loss while flying down a double-layer of stainless steel pipe would be an issue. Not to mention what would happen if a blade hit the pipe. Lowering a camera down a pipe on a cable or even a cell phone on a tether, would work better.

Reactions: EbS-P
I know lots of guys are using drones to inspect chimney tops

I guess you could address signal loss by holding the remote at the lower T cap where you float up the drone. Many of the drones have bumpers around or fully enclose their blades. This wouldn't be to look for hairline cracks or other details, just how clean.

I know lots of guys are using drones to inspect chimney tops
Yes, that makes sense. Flying down or up a metal 6" pipe, not so much so, particularly if there is creosote buildup constricting passage at the top.

Reactions: bholler
I guess you could address signal loss by holding the remote at the lower T cap where you float up the drone. Many of the drones have bumpers around or fully enclose their blades. This wouldn't be to look for hairline cracks or other details, just how clean.
I don't see how that would be any better or easier than a regular camera on rods that we use all the time

They do have drones with fully enclosed blades, but last time I researched this (around 6 months ago?), there was really nothing in the sub-$1000 price range that was both enclosed and small enough to fit in a flue.

Wifi boroscopes, on the other hand, are dirt cheap and highly available.