Mini Split Heating at -8F

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Central Hudson power company in Hudson Valley NY recently (Feb 10,2022) increased their electric supply rates by 2.5 times over previous 12 month average. The rates increased by an additional 14 cents per Kwh. That would make using my 2 year old ductless mini-split Fujitsu system for heat NOT economically useful.

Average for 12 month electric supply rate was $0.08622. On Feb 10, 2022 this increased to $0.21626. This does not include the electric delivery rate charge, which is typically around $0.075 per Kwh.

Last edited:

• Sad
Reactions: UpStateNY
aaron1 - thanks for that link. The electric supply graph for Feb from 2018 to 2022 says it all. CH had lots of excuses for increasing the supply rate by 2.5x. Note 1000s of CH customers like myself have not received a bill for the last six months. I owe CH close to $1000, which I would pay if they sent me a bill. CH switched to a new billing system which is still a complete failure. Given CH billing problems, do they really know if they need to increase electric supply rates by 2.5x.

Same old utility company story. They try to look like they have empathy by showing ways to reduce electric usage. Power companies have been increasing profits by telling people how to use less power for 50 years now since I got first hand knowledge of how this is done, when I wrote software for National Fuel Gas in Buffalo in the 1970s.

aaron1 - thanks for that link. The electric supply graph for Feb from 2018 to 2022 says it all. CH had lots of excuses for increasing the supply rate by 2.5x. Note 1000s of CH customers like myself have not received a bill for the last six months. I owe CH close to $1000, which I would pay if they sent me a bill. CH switched to a new billing system which is still a complete failure. Given CH billing problems, do they really know if they need to increase electric supply rates by 2.5x.

Same old utility company story. They try to look like they have empathy by showing ways to reduce electric usage. Power companies have been increasing profits by telling people how to use less power for 50 years now since I got first hand knowledge of how this is done, when I wrote software for National Fuel Gas in Buffalo in the 1970s.
I’m so annoyed with CH these days. Crap service for outrageous prices.

My light bill runs about 130 a month. Its fairly cheap where I live. I have a deep freezer, fridge, 3 small fridges, and a hot water tank to name a few, Pretty cheap.