Minimum Hearth Pad Depth for Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

I've been lurking for a while and at a point where my family is considering a smaller stove for our home. A concern we have is that our house, being smaller, has some space limitations. We have been looking at the Hampton H200 and are having a hard time figuring out what size pad (depth-wise) we will need. We are doing a corner-install, so the dimension we are looking at right now is the depth from the corner to the front of the pad.

The manual seems to say that this depth in the US is 43" minimum, with a minimum width of 36". The dealer is telling me 60" from the corner to the front of the pad, which seems to contradict the H200 manual, unless I'm reading the section on Floor Protection incorrectly.

Anyone out there have one of these stoves installed in a corner with floor protection? If so, what is the pad size? Any help here would be greatly appreciated as it's a real sticking point with my significant other (given the small-size of our home).

Related, would there be anything we could install that would reduce the need for a potentially 60" pad? Wall protection maybe?

Thanks!

Hi-

I've been lurking for a while and at a point where my family is considering a smaller stove for our home. A concern we have is that our house, being smaller, has some space limitations. We have been looking at the Hampton H200 and are having a hard time figuring out what size pad (depth-wise) we will need. We are doing a corner-install, so the dimension we are looking at right now is the depth from the corner to the front of the pad.

The manual seems to say that this depth in the US is 43" minimum, with a minimum width of 36". The dealer is telling me 60" from the corner to the front of the pad, which seems to contradict the H200 manual, unless I'm reading the section on Floor Protection incorrectly.

Anyone out there have one of these stoves installed in a corner with floor protection? If so, what is the pad size? Any help here would be greatly appreciated as it's a real sticking point with my significant other (given the small-size of our home).

Related, would there be anything we could install that would reduce the need for a potentially 60" pad? Wall protection maybe?

Thanks!
I dont beleive you can reduce clearances anymore on hamptons. But just look up the manual it will have all of the information you need

The measurement may be 60" from the corner to the front, but the pad doesnt go all the way into the corner. Looks like 36x43 minimum to me, and it needs to be floor protection not just ember.

Corner installs take up the most floor space, a stove with its rear parallel to the wall takes up the least amount of space

My guess is the difference is 43 x 36 is the minimum freestanding, 60" is for a full depth hearth pad to the back of the corner to the front of the hearth.
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 5.20.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 5.22.14 AM.png

Yes. The pad does not have to go into the corner, but it sure looks better if you did that.