Minimum stack temp and draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sparkygreen

Jan 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
hey guys. I am looking into doing some kind of reclaimer on my stack pipe. I have an old steel stove that really puts out heat. The stack pipe gets red hot if I open the damper for a while so I am guessing themes get up into the 600's. I am looking at putting a 6" Magic Heat reclaimer above the damper. If I could keep the temp at chimney breach around 300°F would that be ok? Chimney is unlined and right now, it drafts VERY WELL even with no liner. Anyone use the Magic heat in an older stove??

hey guys. I am looking into doing some kind of reclaimer on my stack pipe. I have an old steel stove that really puts out heat. The stack pipe gets red hot if I open the damper for a while so I am guessing themes get up into the 600's. I am looking at putting a 6" Magic Heat reclaimer above the damper. If I could keep the temp at chimney breach around 300°F would that be ok? Chimney is unlined and right now, it drafts VERY WELL even with no liner. Anyone use the Magic heat in an older stove??
Don't do it. What stove is it? Do you have a pipe thermometer?

Not sure of the model, looks to be very old stove. I do not have a flue thermometer installed yet. Also, the rock and bricks in the pic are not on the stove, we had them there before we threw them in with some more fill we had

Attachments

• IMG_4589.jpg
    IMG_4589.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 207
don't do it you probably wind up clogging it up.

You have this stove hooked up to a completely unlined chimney. That is already risky business. A stack robber will further cool down flue gases. They are notorious creosote makers. That creosote can ignite quickly when one is burning construction scraps.

Not sure of the model, looks to be very old stove. I do not have a flue thermometer installed yet. Also, the rock and bricks in the pic are not on the stove, we had them there before we threw them in with some more fill we had
Your chimney is not suitable to use. You need a liner to use it safely

that is a home made creosote collector. shovel it out every two months

...The stack pipe gets red hot if I open the damper for a while so I am guessing themes get up into the 600's... I am looking at putting a 6" Magic Heat reclaimer ...

The very beginning of 'red glow' is north of 900F and probably above 1000F to glow enough to see in a lit room. Second - I'm not sure I understand the grand plan here... seems you want to send extra heat up the flue, then use a magic heat to try and get it back? Why not just close the damper a bit, keep the heat in the stove and not worry with the magic box?

Reactions: fbelec