Minor creosote burning off, or a major problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi all, got some crackling in the pipe at start up. Not the typical clicks of the metal expanding. Sounds like some prices of creosote falling down the pipe? Goes away once at cruising temperature.

It's a straight 8ft stove pipe to a 6 foot triple wall chimney pipe.

Just cleaned the chimney a month ago and have burnt about a quarter cord since.

Some minor creosote burning off, or should I be concerned?

I hear them occasionally. But I know what I clean ever year hasn't changed. I would do a mid winter cleaning to see.

I think what matters most if you can hear falling creosote is that you have a flue set up that allows for the creosote to accumulate safely. In other words, if you connect to your stove out the back, as opposed to straight up, be sure to install a T-connector at the stove, rather than simply using a 90 degree elbow. Years ago my first stove, in a different house, was installed with the elbow (I didn't know better) and creosote would flake off the inside of my single wall pipe and accumulate in a pile in that elbow. This led to a few chimney fires when it eventually ignited.