Minor rust inside new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA
I recently bought a Ravelli. The dealer performed a test burn and calibration for the fancy RDS before delivering since I am performing the install.

After opening the stove I noticed a bit of surface rust on the pellet chute and the metal piece near the top that holds the rear heat plate. Is this normal after < 1 bag of pellets? I'm new to both pellet stoves and surface rust, so I can't tell if this is something to complain about, but I'm leaning toward no.

What's the best way to remove light surface rust on the pellet chute and stove interior?

I don't know your stove so I can't picture the parts you are talking about but I wouldn't worry much about it. A light brushing with a steel brush should take it off. If any area is rusted where it is welded I might brush a little harder to get a little deeper in the grooves/pits if any. You could always give it a light coat of oil prior to using it again.

Just keep it clean and do regular maintenance and keep an eye on those spots and look for others. You probably will get a fine rust looking coat at some point, especially when shutting down after using it and not doing an end of season cleaning right away.

I fired my Harman up this morning for the first time this season. I was surprised to see some rust in mine as well. I plugged the exhaust, coated the inside with cooking spray and had damp-rid which I changed out two or three times over the summer. I know it was a humid and rainy summer, but I didn’t think I would have any rust. Maybe I’ll paint the inside in the spring?