Minus 88F

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Happy Stacker

Jan 6, 2018
SW Ontario, Canada
russia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: libirm and brickie
I saw that in Russia...not to far from Moscow...they said the children would go to school routinely in -40 weather but not this round..Brutal even by Russian standards...Police were ordering people to stay home.. many deaths associated with the deep freeze they are experiencing.

Next thing you know the kids are getting all soft and admiring their participation trophies. Lol
:) Grandpas stories of walking to school 1 mile up hill just doesn't seem to mean much...:)

You can have exposed skin at -88F? -30 with wind is the coldest I've experienced and any exposed skin felt like a knife was slicing it.

You can have exposed skin at -88F? -30 with wind is the coldest I've experienced and any exposed skin felt like a knife was slicing it.

I guess you can when -40 is your normal morning stroll to school anyhow!;)

the pipes here are in a chase inside the insulation. should be everywhere but I'm sure in the south they run it fast and dirty. I replaced a lot of the plumping with pex as I had an issue, its a lot more resilient to problems if you should have issues with the heat and its easy to run and hide

@begreen just posted an article not to long ago about the average household temps around the world and I believe russia was the highest. Somewhere in the mid to high 80's I think. Talk about a temperature difference.

the pipes here are in a chase inside the insulation. should be everywhere but I'm sure in the south they run it fast and dirty. I replaced a lot of the plumping with pex as I had an issue, its a lot more resilient to problems if you should have issues with the heat and its easy to run and hide
I lived in northern Phoenix for awhile and the main water line coming into the house was 1 foot in the ground. There was basically a valvebox for irrigation at the curb. All you had to do was pop the cover off and turn a valve

have no idea what the code is but would never see that here either. the pipe comes in about a ft off the basement floor. glad im not a plumber

Suddenly it makes sense to design a masonry heater. You'd need thermal mass in that weather!

Reactions: Tar12
I grew up in Russia, near Moscow. Winter was my favorite time of year. Schools closed at about negative 35- 40. We usually spent those days playing hockey or cross-country skiing. Cold did not bother me.
I lived in Phoenix for a few years. It was a torture for me. My body just could not function when temperatures got about 80 F. It was miserable. I could not get used to the heat and moved to SC. It gets hot here too but I only have to be miserable for about 4 months every year.
It SNOWED today for the first time here in SC. I was about 30 degrees later in the day and I sat on the porch for a few hours enjoying the weather. Nice!==c My wife always gets cold. I would not even have a woodstove if I were alone.

I grew up in Russia, near Moscow. Winter was my favorite time of year. Schools closed at about negative 35- 40. We usually spent those days playing hockey or cross-country skiing. Cold did not bother me.
I lived in Phoenix for a few years. It was a torture for me. My body just could not function when temperatures got about 80 F. It was miserable. I could not get used to the heat and moved to SC. It gets hot here too but I only have to be miserable for about 4 months every year.
It SNOWED today for the first time here in SC. I was about 30 degrees later in the day and I sat on the porch for a few hours enjoying the weather. Nice!==c My wife always gets cold. I would not even have a woodstove if I were alone.
I grew up in ex USSR too.. in Ukraine it got cold there but never that bad.

tough to believe they would keep their houses at 80, i grew up here and im used to the cold. i have the oil thermostat at 60 and when i run the wood stove the wife and i sit in the living room 2 rooms away because its too hot, probably high 70s, my12 year old daughter and the cats are the only ones that can sit by it. when the temps are negative outside i still leave it on all the way low, mid 60s feels warm to me and the wife

Being since I am woodstoveless (sp) at the moment and dealing with electric baseboards for heat I will take that 80 degree room again anyday, I kept mine around 76 and that was about perfect. Dealing with rooms in the upper 60's sucks.
Our resident stove connoisseur without a stove during one of the coldest winters in recent history? This is no good. Please tell us what's going on and what you are doing to get re-stoved.

Being since I am woodstoveless (sp) at the moment and dealing with electric baseboards for heat I will take that 80 degree room again anyday, I kept mine around 76 and that was about perfect. Dealing with rooms in the upper 60's sucks.

You should turn it down to 50 in order to lend urgency to your restoving project. :)

How do these folks insulate their homes ?How do they keep the water pipes from freezing?How do they heat their homes ? How do they survive in those conditions ?

Our resident stove connoisseur without a stove during one of the coldest winters in recent history? This is no good. Please tell us what's going on and what you are doing to get re-stoved.

Sold my house and the foreclosure I am rehabbing does not have a chimney so I had to sell the BK. The temporary housing I am at only has baseboards for heat. Atleast at the new house I will have a heat pump. Might have to go to the darkside and install a pellet stove at the new house till I can rip out some more walls down the road to install a free standing wood stove.