Miscalculation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

awicherr

Sep 5, 2020
Ohio
A bit of a back story to shed some information on where I am at.

I moved into the house in March with zero wood.

Previous wood burner experience in a smaller house usually put me at 2-3 cords a year.

So after a bit of scrounging, a bit of tree trimming on the property, and buying some although cheap still bought some and I am trying not to do so.

Came up with about 6 cords. Twice as much wood as I normally used should be good for this winter for sure and a cord or two head start for next winter.

Well Turns out going from 1400 to 2100square feet, wife insisting burning started earlier than I anticipated, some of the wood I scrounged was a bit punky, and having a hotblast wood furnace over a wood burner. You burn A LOT more wood than you anticipated.

Mid-summer guy I know said I hear you have a wood burner now I need to get rid of this wood probably novermberish. Didn’t know what it was but I said I would gladly take it off his hands. Thinking I that would put me in a good spot for getting even/ ahead of schedule.

That being said. I just split about 4-5cords or 90% pin/red oak 10% maple that is pretty much rendered useless to me for the upcoming 2021 maybe into 2022 burn season.

I’m not complaining about the quantity of oak I have; however given the drying time required for oak, I am basically back to where I was at the beginning of the summer. With the additional hurdle of trying to locate additional room to repeat last summer all over again and have the stacks have enough room not to cramp each other.

So here are my thoughts. I can get bundles of slab wood for $40 a bundle. Depending on the bundles I would assume 5-6 bundles should get me through next winter, and be dry enough to burn by then. Buying another cord as I did last summer if I can get the cord of wood for the price I got last year.

In my opinion slab wood sucks it’s a pain to cut up, its messy, and it burns like paper some times.

But that’s about the only way I can figure I can manage it slabs and purchase cord wood can get stacked in the barn (my wood shed foundation is open on three sides)right away leaving me room to space out my stacks and hopefully get some other wood with a quicker dry time so I can keep cycling it from drying area to barn to house. the oak put quite the cog in my plan wasn’t planning on having that much wood with that long of dry time.

Any thoughts on alternate routes?

A bit of a back story to shed some information on where I am at.

I moved into the house in March with zero wood.

Previous wood burner experience in a smaller house usually put me at 2-3 cords a year.

So after a bit of scrounging, a bit of tree trimming on the property, and buying some although cheap still bought some and I am trying not to do so.

Came up with about 6 cords. Twice as much wood as I normally used should be good for this winter for sure and a cord or two head start for next winter.

Well Turns out going from 1400 to 2100square feet, wife insisting burning started earlier than I anticipated, some of the wood I scrounged was a bit punky, and having a hotblast wood furnace over a wood burner. You burn A LOT more wood than you anticipated.

Mid-summer guy I know said I hear you have a wood burner now I need to get rid of this wood probably novermberish. Didn’t know what it was but I said I would gladly take it off his hands. Thinking I that would put me in a good spot for getting even/ ahead of schedule.

That being said. I just split about 4-5cords or 90% pin/red oak 10% maple that is pretty much rendered useless to me for the upcoming 2021 maybe into 2022 burn season.

I’m not complaining about the quantity of oak I have; however given the drying time required for oak, I am basically back to where I was at the beginning of the summer. With the additional hurdle of trying to locate additional room to repeat last summer all over again and have the stacks have enough room not to cramp each other.

So here are my thoughts. I can get bundles of slab wood for $40 a bundle. Depending on the bundles I would assume 5-6 bundles should get me through next winter, and be dry enough to burn by then. Buying another cord as I did last summer if I can get the cord of wood for the price I got last year.

In my opinion slab wood sucks it’s a pain to cut up, its messy, and it burns like paper some times.

But that’s about the only way I can figure I can manage it slabs and purchase cord wood can get stacked in the barn (my wood shed foundation is open on three sides)right away leaving me room to space out my stacks and hopefully get some other wood with a quicker dry time so I can keep cycling it from drying area to barn to house. the oak put quite the cog in my plan wasn’t planning on having that much wood with that long of dry time.

Any thoughts on alternate routes?
Solar kiln in the spring !!

I second the kiln idea; think it could potentially get you to where you need to be

Reactions: awicherr
BIo bricks cost more but lot less hassle.

Definitely you need to do solar kiln as soon as you can dig down through the snow to start stacking.

Sweedish i have an alanthis* and a cotton wood i need down before spring so i will have that but again the room issue is going to come into play i have a fair amount of room but drying room is slim pickins ...

Peakbagger i bought 2ton of bio blocks at a close out 140 a ton this year of which is about gone i have been mixing in with on the fence dry wood. Their ok and yes their dry but burn time is short shorter than than the slab wood that was in the basement when i moved in and it doesn't coal.

Brenndatomu yes it does blast wood but it also blast heat
I am in portage that was on fb market place and its prime firewood selling time normally they are 10 or 20 bucks 10 if you load 20 if they do

Take some time to strategize your stacking plan/position. Put your stacks in the sun and wind. When I started I did a poor job by stacking along the edge of my yard against the tree line and payed for it. All good now out where I can mow around them in full sun and wind. Just a random thought!

Reactions: awicherr
Take some time to strategize your stacking plan/position. Put your stacks in the sun and wind. When I started I did a poor job by stacking along the edge of my yard against the tree line and payed for it. All good now out where I can mow around them in full sun and wind. Just a random thought!

That is frequenlt forgotten issue. Unless you are planning to sell the house or have some homeowner restrcitions, aesthetics is not something you can afford in the short term. Pick the sunniest spot, preferably with a breeze in the lot even if its in the front yard. In a few years when you get ahead on wood, you can then start future piles in spots that are less obvious.

Reactions: moresnow

The edge of the yard is ok it just depends on the sun/prevailing winds. I keep my wood on the east side of my yard about 3 feet from the tree/brush line in double stacks, 6" apart, with lean-to roofs. They get hit with the hot afternoon sun and prevailing winds so it works well. It's important that you can mow/walk around the stacks as you said for airflow/added sun.

While I'd love to put them in the middle of the yard my wife wouldn't be on board board that plan ;lol. If you're behind though as mentioned above you want to maximize drying times. The end if the driveway or middle of the yard are ideas. A kiln is perfect too. Another option is simply buying seasoned wood at a premium price to jump start yourself. I did that, wood was $300 a cord + delivery but excellent quality and really helped. Was worth it.