Miscellaneous Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
Hello all, I figured I would post a few questions to help me understand pellet stoves better (did not want to create 3+ threads). I assume this was the better method. I have learned alot from this forum but want to make sure on a few things.

1. Combustion blower
  • what does this do? (suck gases and exhaust them via exhaust vent? aka negative pressure)
  • I do clean the fan blade (inside the stove).Do I need to remove the blower completely to clean it?

2. Convection/Distribution blower
  • what does this do? (blow hot air back in to the room?)
  • Where does this fan get its air from? Back of the insert or does it suck it from bottom of the stove?
  • how do I clean it? I do have a rail kit. Do I have to remove fan altogether in order to clean it? (located underneath stove?)
3. Is the OAK "ONLY" used on the initial startup? After running, does the stove only pull air from inside the house? I believe OAK is only for the inital startup and not used once the stove is running.

Thank you all.

Harman accentra 52i (newer version)

I don't have the exact same model stove so I'll try to answer in general terms.

1. Combustion blower
  • what does this do? (suck gases and exhaust them via exhaust vent? aka negative pressure) Yes. It pulls air thru the burn pot and exhausts thru the vent.
  • I do clean the fan blade (inside the stove).Do I need to remove the blower completely to clean it? I don't remove mine. I just use and old paint brush to gently clean out the ash. To remove the fan blade it usually entails cutting it off so it's not recommended for my model stove. I think yours is the same.
2. Convection/Distribution blower
  • what does this do? (blow hot air back in to the room?) Yes.
  • Where does this fan get its air from? Back of the insert or does it suck it from bottom of the stove? It takes in the room air. On my stove it's taken in at the bottom rear of the stove.
  • how do I clean it? I do have a rail kit. Do I have to remove fan altogether in order to clean it? (located underneath stove?) I can't say for sure on your model stove. On mine I just vacuum it gently not to bend any fins.
3. Is the OAK "ONLY" used on the initial startup? After running, does the stove only pull air from inside the house? I believe OAK is only for the inital startup and not used once the stove is running. No. The OAK is used continuously to pull in air from outside the house thru the burn pot and out the vent.

Combustion blower: yes it creates a negative pressure inside the stove and a positive pressure out your exhaust vent. I like to take all my blowers out and blow them out (compressed air) and lubricate with 3 in 1 oil. At least once a year (usually the end of the season). Cleaning of the fan bldes and chamber should be done in accordance with your mfg requirements. Most are every ton.

Convection blower: same as above. It gets its air from the room the stove is located. It can draw air from all around the stove.

OAK: the oak is the kit that connects the intake tube to the exterior of the home. Air is drawn through the oak( if you have one) and intake at all times the stove is in operation.

Last edited:
I can't speak too much knowledge about the combustion blower or the OAK, but I became pretty familiar with the distribution blower on my Harman Accentra when I cleaned it for the first time last week.

Not sure if it will be helpful to you, but feel free to look at the pictures and information posted on a thread I started last week and I'm happy to answer any questions I'm able to:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-accentra-insert-distribution-fan-access.171563/

Combustion blower on my Harmon XXV should be cleaned at least every 1 Ton of Pellets. Since your there look at Distribution Blower. Not hard to clean it too with some air or brush.

There is place you can buy replacements lots cheaper than dealer. This is not your part, just demo

https://www.galco.com/buy/ebm-papst-Inc./55416.29089

I plan on having blowers sitting, already have Combustion Blower. Hate to be without and Winter can make delivery of items impossible where I live.

Since your new make sure you have Gel to light the stove for when the Igniter Fails.

if it's harmon here are the pt numbers

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...cret-so-guard-this-info-with-your-life.94568/