Missing mortar behind lintel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick clifford

Oct 19, 2012
Insert is about to in and a final inspection of the firebox indicated a few places between the lintel and the damper where some mortar has fallen out. (I suspect it fell out) In the photo its the lintel at the bottom of the photo and the front of the damper on top. At that right angle there is some mortar missing. I am going to replace but my question is can I use that rutland injection mortar applied with a caulking gun and how much must be injected? OR should I mix up a loose mortar mix and inject it up there with a masons/bakers bag. I don't know what that thing is called. If so what type of mortar should I use and how much should I shoot up there? Thanks

Insert is about to in and a final inspection of the firebox indicated a few places between the lintel and the damper where some mortar has fallen out. (I suspect it fell out) In the photo its the lintel at the bottom of the photo and the front of the damper on top. At that right angle there is some mortar missing. I am going to replace but my question is can I use that rutland injection mortar applied with a caulking gun and how much must be injected? OR should I mix up a loose mortar mix and inject it up there with a masons/bakers bag. I don't know what that thing is called. If so what type of mortar should I use and how much should I shoot up there? Thanks
...........I forgot to insert the photo

Attachments

• Lintel.jpg
    Lintel.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 75
I never liked the tube mortar. It takes forever to dry. I'd use some Type S mortar mixed with just enough consistency so it's not runny. I'd hold a small scoop with my hand and push it into the cracks with your small trowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.