Mixing 3 and 4" pellet vent pipe....better or worse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scdngy

Oct 24, 2023
Wa State
It's become obvious from reading here at Hearth.com that a 4" vent will aid in creating a draft and a good burn when electric power is unavailable. However, i have a tight install to make therefore 3" pipe would work better for locating the stove. So....are there any benefits when power is unavailable if i use 3" pvp for the first leg and then convert to 4" about 8' up, and run the last 15' with 4"? Thanks for any feedback.

Don't know if there is a benefit to what you propose but my stove goes from to 3in double-walled
pipe a class to a class A 6in chimney and I have never had a smoke problem. I live in an area that has
more than its share of power failures.

Reactions: scdngy
4” is better draft yes…but I’ve used 3” on my personal and 4” on a couple installs…They both work and I’ve seen no negatives on a 16’ 3” run…I would go 3” the whole way if it were me

Reactions: scdngy