mixing cast iron radiators with heated slab: how to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom Griffin

Mar 25, 2012
Hello all, I haven't been here much since I put in my system about 6 years ago. I have a Tarm heating cast iron radiators. I want to finally (after 30years here...) finish a small (9 X 13) attached greenhouse and possibly heat it with a radiant slab.

My existing system is a single zone.

How would I pipe and control the water temp for a small radiant slab? I don't think I can put 160 degree water into it, can I?

as you'll want it on a separate thermostat, you will need the mixing valve and circulator and a relay for the circulator. just keep in mind that depending on your application (such as the greenhouse type, outside temperature and required temperature) you may not be able to get enough heat thru a small slab quickly enough to keep the green house up to temperature in cold weather. if you find that happen, you may put a large cast iron radiator in line with the hot line to the mixing valve. the radiator will heat up quickly and deliver enough heat sometimes, with the in-floor being a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.