Mixing wet wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I know it's been talked about alot but I'm burning more this year with my wife being home. I'm mixing some 25-28% oak with dry ash. It's burning fine and my temps are what they usually are. Realistically how long is that oak taking to dry out if the firebox is at say 500° or so. Just wondering about that as I watch my stove right now.

Dont worry many firewood dealers mix the red oak unseasoned in for ya anyway. It takes a long time to dry so they dont want to sit on it or use it for kiln dry. To solve this problem I only but firewood by species or plan on storing it dry for 2 to 3 years. So far 9 out of 10 firewood dealers cant even tell you the wood species. They just repeat mixed hardwood....

Reactions: Stinkpickle
I have all my own wood not bought wood. Just wanted to give my oak another year. It's starting to warm up here so I'm not burning 24/7

Reactions: MR. GLO
After the stove is going for an hour, it is not unusual for me to mix in old, punky, or not-quite-ready wood (splits that feel too heavy, or don't look as fissured on the ends). It all works fine, provided the fire is hot enough. In the first hour, only the best wood. (Same with the very last pieces I put on).

What I can see is this -- never any smoke inside the firebox. Never any smoke or smell outside, coming out the stack. My creosote buildup is very low, though I clean the chimney yearly.

Those are two rough measures I suggest for anyone, including city dwellers around me:
1) no smoke in the firebox or fireplace
2) no smell or visible smoke outside.
Those seem good enough as parameters for what to grab from the wood pile for a hot fire.
Another visual is no little bits of steam/water coming out the end of wood in the fire.

I did some education on this in our city this year, via Facebook and stuff. Because a lot of people were complaining about fire pits, where people burn almost anything. I can't say if the results are related, but I've been pretty surprised. In a pandemic year, a lot more people home, our air quality is better than in any of the 12 previous years. For city people the idea of seasoned wood often hits them as new, as does the idea of stacking it for a year or two.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
I have all my own wood not bought wood. Just wanted to give my oak another year. It's starting to warm up here so I'm not burning 24/7
It might burn ok with no smoke but my cap takes the pain from not waiting full two years with oak.

if your wood is at 25 to 28 your ready to burn it fall of this year if your in a good location and don't let the wood get wet at all. You'll be at roughly 20 or real close. But it need to be in a good location.. up off the ground and the summer prevailing winds blowing on it