modern 8" flue woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Blaze King- King model. It’s going to out perform any others that are available. Folks with the green mountain haven’t been impressed with the burn times. There hasn’t been much feed back on the 80 though, I would expect it will get somewhere around half the burn time or less of a king on a full load in cold conditions. The benefit of the king is it can be turned way down when needed, extending burn times to 24 hours or more.

ya but king is not the most attractive stove out there lol
The Regency 5200 is a good 8" stove. Looks better than the king. And is reliable.

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I wonder why BK doesn't make an effort to make better looking stoves. We all know they work well but my goodness are they ugly. Not that they are hurting for sales but I bet they lose some because of appearance.

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I wonder why BK doesn't make an effort to make better looking stoves. We all know they work well but my goodness are they ugly. Not that they are hurting for sales but I bet they lose some because of appearance.
They are for serious wood burners. Those people understand..

Honestly, if you intend to burn 24/7, nothing can compete with a Blaze King. Some have better looks, just like a dodge, but don’t be fooled, they aren’t the same!

They are for serious wood burners. Those people understand..
I'm sorry but that's not a valid reason to make it ugly. I personally wouldn't pick a worse stove due to looks. I just think it's strange there are so many beautiful stoves out there and the folks that make the consensus biggest baddest one of them all make it pedestrian looking. To each their own!

I'm sorry but that's not a valid reason to make it ugly. I personally wouldn't pick a worse stove due to looks. I just think it's strange there are so many beautiful stoves out there and the folks that make the consensus biggest baddest one of them all make it pedestrian looking. To each their own!
I tried my best to decipher that. If looks is most important then good luck to you. Green mountain sucks overall is my professional opinion. Bk is top dog, the regency 5400, is next, nothing else… looks doesn’t have much play in the big heater/efficiency category. If looks are most important, then you have more options with 6” stoves.

I tried my best to decipher that. If looks is most important then good luck to you. Green mountain sucks overall is my professional opinion. Bk is top dog, the regency 5400, is next, nothing else… looks doesn’t have much play in the big heater/efficiency category. If looks are most important, then you have more options with 6” stoves.
I'm not the OP. Just a bystander commenting on the looks of the King. Never said it wasn't the best, I'd get the King too if I were in the market for a big 8" stove. I'm just a guy wondering why the best can't look awesome too.

Anyone know if "the best" is available outside the USofA?

anyway, I was taking the Blaze Kings out of my short list...not that Regency appears available in europe either

the only appliances I find in Europe comparable with BK are furnaces...and they certainly aren't pretty

Honestly, if you intend to burn 24/7, nothing can compete with a Blaze King. Some have better looks, just like a dodge, but don’t be fooled, they aren’t the same!
If you need what Blaze kings are good at yes they are the best. But there are tons of 24/7 burners that won't use their low and slow very much at all. Which means there are many stoves that do compete

If you need what Blaze kings are good at yes they are the best. But there are tons of 24/7 burners that won't use their low and slow very much at all. Which means there are many stoves that do compete
I’m pretty sure everyone on here has spring and fall. It’s pretty awesome to be able to heat in the shoulder seasons with such ease. Some don’t bother and I get that.

I’m pretty sure everyone on here has spring and fall. It’s pretty awesome to be able to heat in the shoulder seasons with such ease. Some don’t bother and I get that.
Yes but if you have short shoulder seasons and you need high btus the rest of the heating season a bk is not going to be the best. It may be best for you but blanket statements like you made really aren't accurate

Reactions: Newbie78
Yes but if you have short shoulder seasons and you need high btus the rest of the heating season a bk is not going to be the best. It may be best for you but blanket statements like you made really aren't accurate
I can’t see any instance where a BK wouldn’t be good, then excel in other situations. You don’t like them, you’ve Made that very clear the last few years you’ve been around here. That’s ok, we’ve all got our favorites.

It's not that I don't like them at all. They are fantastic at what they do. But they simply are not the best stove for everyone across the board.

Or they have a more efficient, cleaner, and possibly less expensive alternative like a modern heat pump. In that case, running the stove when it's mild outside doesn't make sense or cents. And then there is the weather variable. We ran on the heat pump for most of December. That was a first, but 2023 was the warmest year on record.

That said, the past few days have made up for it. In this case the stove is being pushed for heat in which case, the extended burntime of the BK diminishes notably. In this scenario, it doesn't make sense for us. My preference is for a well-built, KISS designed, non-cat. But then again, if it weren't for the heat pump, I might have an Ashford, but it would be working its tail off right now. When it drops below 20º we need high BTU output due to the heat losses of the house.

Or they have a more efficient, cleaner, and possibly less expensive alternative like a modern heat pump. In that case, running the stove when it's mild outside doesn't make sense or cents. And then there is the weather variable. We ran on the heat pump for most of December. That was a first, but 2023 was the warmest year on record.

That said, the past few days have made up for it. In this case the stove is being pushed for heat in which case, the extended burntime of the BK diminishes notably. In this scenario, it doesn't make sense for us. My preference is for a well-built, KISS designed, non-cat. But then again, if it weren't for the heat pump, I might have an Ashford, but it would be working its tail off right now. When it drops below 20º we need high BTU output due to the heat losses of the house.
Well said. I wouldn’t have a heat pump due to cost of electricity in my area. Lp gas is affordable here though. The ashford would be very comparable to your PE from my experience.

Well said. I wouldn’t have a heat pump due to cost of electricity in my area. Lp gas is affordable here though. The ashford would be very comparable to your PE from my experience.
In general, yes, though the Alderlea has a higher top end than the Ashford and we are using that today.

In general, yes, though the Alderlea has a higher top end than the Ashford and we are using that today.
As you know. Published btus are hard to judge a stove by. The ashford will rock if it’s needed.

We've been riding the heat pump too. All that cold is coming my way I'm bringing in a lot of maple for hot fast fires this week and oak for overnight. Bark for coal burn downs. It's going to be a serious week of full power 24/7 burning. Possibly even some backup heat overnight.

I run a KE40. The temps the last 4-5 days are around 0. -10 on Saturday morning and high of 7 yesterday. Yes the burn times were shorter because if pushed the stove. I was only getting 12 hours running it near the top end on a full load larch (tamarack). My house is 2850 sq. ft. and built in 1895.

Our new NG HVAC furnace thermostat has read 72 for the entire time. Even if (and I agree) burn times decrease when I push my stove. My wife just like as little temperature swing as possible, and our KE40 does that better than our furnace. If our pipe were not in exterior walls and in crawl spaces, I could have gone without buying the new furnace. But the AC is awesome in the summer.

As for looks, I have to say I think the ol' Equinox from Hearthstone was my favorite looking stove. Just a giant, imposing looking piece of furniture! But my KE40 gets it done.

BKVP

I detect some commercial bias. 😉

JK we love you bkvp!
I love my F350 7.3L 6 speed manual. My Stihl 036 Pro. I don't work for these guys but they all get the job done better (in my opinion) that other trucks, saws that I have owned.

Get me a Equinox and I'll put it in my shop!

BKVP

Last edited by a moderator: