modify Englander front air grille for quieter performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrushcj7

Feeling the Heat
Jun 30, 2008
Barre MA
Can't say as I am willing to do this quite yet, but I was doing some thinking... I attribute the blower "noise" I get on my PDVC to the many narrow slots the air is forced thru, causing turbulance and wind noise. Over the weekend I was amazed at how quiet my friends quad castile was. I noticed the air outlets are alot larger, and round in shape. This I think results in less wind resistance. I was wondering if anybody has tried, or (Pook maybe) is willing to try cutting out some of the vertical "spokes" and leaving every 4th spoke or so. I think it would not only cut down on the wind noise, but also allow the stove to move more air, more easily. I would think the less resistance, the more efficient it would run. Would also be nice if there were some readily available trim piece to put in place to cover the cuts. Maybe the trim pieces that are used around the glass could be modified to fit. Would also like to hear Mike Holton's thoughts on it. This will no doubt void the warrenty.

i would have to think that by reducing the resistance inside the tubes you could actually reduce the efficience to some degree. that air has to spend some time in there to absorb the heat. I dont think were talking drastic change here, but still. I do like your thought process on the whole thing. I bet it would be quieter.

good point... so in theory you could run the blowers on a lower setting in order for the heat transfer to take place

CZARCAR said:
Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
good point... so in theory you could run the blowers on a lower setting in order for the heat transfer to take place
& eventually run hi feedrate with lowerblower setting!
grill in front may provide enuff resistance to airflow so that heatloss off burnchamber top is equalized. exhaust blower side of top gets hotter than roomblower side. firefumes wanna vent thru easiest path to exhaust blower suction.

I wonder how important room blower speed is? as long as the heat created either radiates or is blown off the stove, either way it should heat the space by natural or artificial convection. But then again, pellet stoves are made of thinner sheet steel and sensitive computer circuitry which aren't designed to withstand such intense heat of a radiant heater, therefore necessitate a room blower to remove the heat and distribute it within the house.

Still leaves the original topic unresolved though. What makes the quad so much quieter? I wonder how similar the room blowers are. Could I buy a room blower for a quad and install it in place of the Englander Fasco unit?

EDIT: just learned that quads use Fasco blowers too HMMM..........

Status
Not open for further replies.