Modify existing fireplace (Zero Clearance ) to install Pellet Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jakethefireman

Sep 19, 2020
Evergreen, CO
Hi, I have a question for all of the knowledgeable people on Hearth.com

I have a TH36 zero-clearance fireplace presently and I would like to install a True North pellet insert. In order to get the pellet insert installed I would need to remove the bottom piece of the fireplace and a piece near the top that drapes over like a hood. Would removing either of these pieces affect the integrity of the firebox/is it okay to do?
IMG_6520 (1).jpg

Closer look at the bottom piece:
IMG_6522.jpg

The "hood" piece:
IMG_6528(1).jpg

IMG_6523(1).jpg

Read the owner's manual.
It may say whether or not this
ZC Box is SAFE for an insert installation.
Even then, what does your Homeowner's
Insurance Policy say about this?

Read the owner's manual.
It may say whether or not this
ZC Box is SAFE for an insert installation.
Even then, what does your Homeowner's
Insurance Policy say about this?

I checked the owner's manual twice; https://www.manualslib.com/manual/845197/Trueheat-Th36.html#manual

Mentions nothing about these parts, modifying the ZC , Or if it safe for install with a pellet burner. When I had the local installer come out he measured and gave me a max opening of 21 inches, this would only be possible with removal of the two mentioned pieces. Because the current opening is 19. He mentioned no problem with installing this unit into the zero clearance.

Home owners is a blanket coverage for all wood burning appliances regardless of the type, material, style, construction. The existing requirements for appropriate clearances for the appliance all apply and are met with the potential install of the new one, including venting of gasses, cold air intake, and safety clearance for combustible material.

Daksy, while I appreciate your time in both reading and viewing my post please refrain from future responses that are not relevant to the question asked.

Unbolt the bottom plate to the ZC insert. If it will fit leave the sides. Take a saws all and cut a hole in the top for the liner to come through. I hate to tell you this but I sold those units. We had an ungodly amount of problems with them.