Modifying Hearthstone Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I've had past threads about a possible upgrade to my Homestead stove because I do well when it is 20F +, but on colder days or windy days I have to supplement with natural gas.

How much, if at all, will this help?

This summer, I'm redoing the walls and floors in the stove room. Currently the stove vents striaght back, through the fireplace. Here's an old photo of the liner before the stove was placed in and some of the wood and brick work was modified

Attachments

• FirePlace1.JPG
    FirePlace1.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 174
Would my heat gain (heat flowing into the living space) be significant if instead of venting back, I switch the flue collar from straight back to venting out of the top? My plan would be to come up 3-5 feet with pipe, elbow back 90 degrees and bore straight into the chimney another 3 feet for a total of 6-8 ft exposed pipe.

Pipe would enter the chimney right about where that old mantle is . . . mantle's gone now.

A side benefit would be easier sweeping.

What so you reckon?

It could slow down your draft and make the stove burn not as hot!
On the other hand, if you have plenty of draft, you could add 5-8% extra heat and efficiency.

In my view, sizing a stove for the (rare) very cold weather may not always be the best solution....if you can get through 80% or more of the weather then you are fine. Quite another thing if you have no backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.