Modifying primary air intake on Enviro 1600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Your new technique will be put to the test, about the middle of next week! _g !!!
Yep! I’m very excited. I may actually be able to run the second stove longer than The starting load and 1 reload!
Between the 2 stoves in a split level and 2080sqft. I’m sitting pretty darn good! It may even classify as overkill but my wife and baby will be the warmest in Minnesota!

Yep! I’m very excited. I may actually be able to run the second stove longer than The starting load and 1 reload!
Between the 2 stoves in a split level and 2080sqft. I’m sitting pretty darn good! It may even classify as overkill but my wife and baby will be the warmest in Minnesota!

Two stoves! That's wood burning Nirvana - I'd imagine it gives you a lot of flexibility.

One other thing to consider experimenting with - might be worth trying turning down the air in stages. It sounds like you currently run it wide open until it gets to a certain temp, and then shut it down and let it cruise. When I have done this, sometimes it works fine, and other times the wood isn't quite ready for it and so I have to tinker with the air for a while. I have more success with reducing the primary air in several stages. If I am loading at 250-350, I load fully, close the door completely, and set a timer for 3 min. After 3 min, the stove is at 350-450, and I cut the air to 50% and set the timer for another 3 min. After another 3 min, the stove is at 550-600, and I cut the air to 25% open. After that it's pretty variable. Sometimes I cut the air in 2 more stages down to fully closed, sometimes in one stage, and sometimes I only cut it to 90% and run the blower on med/high if I want extra heat.

YMMV - might just be a whole lot of unnecessary extra effort, or it might give you more consistent results, which is what I have found.

I will be experimenting and finding what works best for me. I still may look into a manometer I just don’t think I have an over draft but if my draft is 3x higher than the stove was tested for then that could absolutely result in coaling I suppose.

I’ll be burning every day for the rest of winter and I’ll continue to refine my techniques for that stove. - until a craigslist lopi freedom or revere comes up. Then I may just have to make a switch. But who knows.
And yeah I have allot of flexibility depending what my Goals are and how the outside temps are. I can simply keep the furnace from coming on. Or I can pretend I’m in the Sahara desert

Ok guys after a week of -15 or more I’ve made a few conclusions.
1- successfully kept the furnace off and house a cool 70-75 with bedrooms around 65-68.
2 The enviro did fine and I imagine for most it would be great. But just not enough for what I’m demanding. So on Saturday I’m heading 7 hours away. For a mint condition 2006 lopi freedom that a retiree couple has had for sale for quite some time- they leave Saturday at noon for Arizona and instead of having a friend try and sell it for them I offered to be there 7am Saturday with cash. 400$!!!! It needs nothing but I may do a door gasket. I’ll post pics Saturday night of my score. And I’ll be installing Sunday morning. That’ll be 2 freedoms burning in this house! Can’t wait

Reactions: blacktail