Moen "Monticello" 2 lever shower repair...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I have a circa late 1990s Moen "monicello" type shower faucets, 2 distinct hot/cold lever in my shower. I recently had to replace the "stem extender's in the copper shower diverter/fitting that is threaded into the wall behind my shower enclosure. The nub at the end that actually moves the valve broke off such that the lever was spinning forever. But now I noticed it seems the valve itself is loose, the lever pushes the valve around and around and although the water does shut off, it doesn't have a positive lock anymore. I know about the cartridge valve removal tool that Moen sells that is cylindrical and allows you to replace the valve inside the copper fitting... But I was able to use my needlenose pliers to try to tighten (clockwise) the outer valve holder ring thing. Still doesn't seem to tighten the valve. Is there anything behind the valve that might have broken which might be fixed with a new valve or what?

I believe my father had the same problem and a plumber put a kludge in it by using a screw and basically screwing into the faucet such that the handle will stop at the screw. Obviously, the screw is visible but my father didn't want to replace the thing...

jay

You do know that you get free replacement parts for life on Moen products, right? Give them a call and get new valve.

Yes thanks, I'm not the original owner, however, I've already got a bunch of Moen parts already, including a whole new elbow and some various internal parts gratis from Moen.
I think once I fix this valve, I will be finished once and for all with the shower plumbing!

I found out the valve is supposed to sit in a groove of some sort so that it doesn't freely rotate and the cartridge ring keeps it in place. The Moen tool you buy #14272 loosens this ring and so I will go and see if I can loosen up the ring and seat the cartridge properly...

[ edit ] Cool, fixed it, bought the cartridge valve but Lowes doesn't sell the tool but I was able to get it off with needlenose pliers easily enough, replaced the valve, put the ring back on, made sure it was seated properly and now it's good. The lever properly stops at the off position and everything is back to work... yay me!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.