Moisture content under tarps unreliable, or am I losing it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
i have the opposite here i buy black rolls of plastic 10 foot wide slice it in half then cover my stacks with the 5 foot plastic. i also make my rows like a house that peaks in the center of the row and works downward to the ends. snow and rain just drain off with no puddles. the black plastic acts like a oven and dries the wood underneath it and it stays dry no matter what season that we are in. during the winter with snows coming down and wind the edges of my wood gets snowy and if the temp goes above freezing it melts to wet the wood. only the black plastic stays dry and dries better than the rest of the stack

Reactions: StudlyHogly

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
also i have pallets that hold 1/3 of a cord of wood sometimes 1/2 a cord and if i leave them with no cover under the pines where they are there is so much debris coming off the trees that it clogs up any air from getting into the stack and they don't dry. even maple after 2 to 2.5 years are still heavy and not dry

Reactions: stoveliker

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
The key to faster drying covered or uncovered is location
Lots of Sun with good air movement that is the best scenario.

Reactions: tabner