Moisture Content

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartwood

Sep 30, 2007
N Central PA
I have a question that might boil down an earlier thread on seasoning wood to a practical, less subjective guide for those of us who struggle with getting our wood just right. Per Gooserider's earlier advice in that thread (man I'm glad it came up when it did), I finally ordered a moisture meter. What do you consider ideal moisture content (on average--personally, I'm most concerned with ideal content for oak)? If that's too subjective, what's proven acceptable for keeping the flue safe?

I did do a search on this subject, but surprisingly did not come up with any discussion on it. It may be out there, but I think it's worth putting into a thread again anyway, considering it's the season for checking your seasoning.

20%
EDIT
On a FRESHLY split piece

15-20% Make sure you check it in the middle. In other words if it is stacked up split the outer surface is not indicative of the inside moisture so you need to cut it or split it again to measure it inside.

Babalu, Your edit then, is saying that a previously split/stacked/stored piece is likley going to be lower than 20% when it hits the stove, but you consider a freshly split, 20% log acceptable?

Heartwood said:
Babalu, Your edit then, is saying that a previously split/stacked/stored piece is likley going to be lower than 20% when it hits the stove, but you consider a freshly split, 20% log acceptable?

I think Babs was saying what Coppermouse hit on...just a different way.

To clarify: Split the piece of wood AGAIN, right before you test it. That way you are testing the internal moisture, not the surface.

20% is good and 15% is very much better. I burn softwoods from teh NW and used 20$% wood which was fine but with the 15% and less wood I notice less smoke and cleaner combustion with larger splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.