Moisture Meter Confusion. . . .What is the actual moisture content?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I split a piece of wood and test it with my moisture meter - 32% moisture reading.
Test same split the next day - 22% moisture reading.

I understand that the reading of the wood after it is split is a more accurate reading than the exterior of a split that's been sitting outside for several months. . .

But, which is a more accurate reading, the freshly split wood, or the next day reading?

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
supposed to poke the probes across the grain of the wood i thinx
split surface might have dried 10% overnite= u aint probing that deep. try split again & test

+1

Fresh split is most accurate, but who knows how accurate these cheap meters can be. If you have an out door fire pit build a fire and see if the splits sizzle, if they don't they should be close to 25% or less and you can kind a calibrate your meter. I found that with my meter splits don't sizzle and burn well at <27%.

Status
Not open for further replies.