Moisture meter readings, operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Hearth Supporter
Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I just picked up a Chinese moisture meter off Ebay that has the 4-prong probe setup. I've seen others, probably many more expensive and better quality, but my question is still valid: The directions say to imbed the 4 prongs 5mm (just under .19", or about 3/16") into the wood.

It is impossible to imbed the prongs that far into hardwood, I doubt if the average human could do it in a pine 2 x 4.

So am I reading moisture just in the top 1/8" that I can imbed the probes? What does that say about the center of the piece?

I tested the wood I had delivered that was supposedly cut in the spring and was "seasoned", it tested 25-30%. Just wondering how accurate this number is.

Brider, over on "The Gear" forum, moisture meters of all descriptions and the use thereof is discussed ad naseum. A Moderator's probably going to move this post over there, I imagine. Anyway, if you go there and do a search, you'll find no end to the moisture meter threads. Good luck. Rick

Use a drill and bit about the size of the prongs. Drill holes the needed depth and insert the prongs into the wood to test. Do it in the center of the split, not the ends.

Another method is to take the piece that you are going to test and split it again, so that you get to the "interior" parts of the wood.

on freshly split oak, it pegs my cheap 4 prong meter at 40%. after a few months of seasoning it drops to the mid 30% in the center. sounds like your wood supplier is right on with the seasoning.

I just got the 2 prong version from China, and immediatly ran out and start stabbing my cordwood. Readings from 38% down to 19% depending on size and which load it came from.
What I'm going to do is take a reading just pushing it in by hand, then drill a couple of holes and check it again. If I don't see much change then I'll keep doing it by hand. Might try the check, split and check again method as well. Also I'll pick a couple of pieces, mark them and take reading every couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how fast it dries out.

Greg H

Status
Not open for further replies.